Spaces Application Assignment

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sadatkarim, Oct 29, 2007.

1. sadatkarim macrumors member

For some reason, my spaces won't work with the assignment I put it to. For example, I have ichat to be on every space but it just stays on the first space unless I manually change it to a different space and then "Every Space" again.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have had problems keeping apps to one or all screens as well. There is definitely some strange behaviour going on in space.

3. likwidplastik macrumors member

It doesn't work with Adobe programs for me (Illustrator and Photoshop), but Aperture worked.

4. seoimage macrumors newbie

Is there a way to put the Finder in all spaces, its really annoying that I have folder based on the space I am in.

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

how do you assign an app to open in all spaces? i'm having an issue with the default keyboard navigation. i'm on a mbp so it has the 'old' keyboard. if i hit f8 it dims the screen and shift and the arrow keys don't do anything. oh that new keyboard should definitely be a hint at some kind of new laptops now that leopard is out.

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I took my MacBook in to work with me today to show off Leopard, but didn't have an external monitor connected like I do at home. All of the Apps that are normally in other Spaces, all piled up in the first space. I think it was because I had them set to the external monitor, but rather than put them on the built-in monitor for the Space they were in, it dumped them on space #1.

7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Spaces may be one of the poorest executions I have seen from Apple.

Finder windows and app behavior with multiple windows makes it basically unusable. I hope Apple fixes this in .1 bug fix release. (Which needs to be a big one, BTW)

8. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

just tried it on mine, works fine (ichat set to every space)

when I go from space to space, ichat follows...

hrmmm

9. Stephenbw macrumors member

I have set Finder in every Space in Sapces Prefs (see below) and when open it follows me to every window. If it is closed it re-opens in the window I am using.

Mashinhead, I believe that you have to use Fn+F8 on a mbp to open all spaces. F8 did not work on my alu keyboard, so as you can see I changed it to F5.
    The Ctrl + arrow keys move around the Spaces windows.

Attached Files:

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yea i'm having this issue with dreamweaver too. i have to change the space to open it in it's own space, but if i try to change it by selecting the program it doesn't work. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

11. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

This may be the magic solution to make Spaces not be a joke.

One question: where is the Finder application? I can't find it anywhere...

12. Stephenbw macrumors member

I just found it in HD>System>Library>Core Services... however you don't need to know this to add it to every Space - I didn't. After clicking the + it appeared in the drop down list.

I've just noticed that the Dock is in that list too. I wonder the Dock could just be assigned to chosen Spaces or if a different Dock could be assigned to each space. I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable or brave enough to try it.

Attached Files: