Spaces - Assigning apps to spaces is hit or miss

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by netnothing, Jul 20, 2011.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok so first off.....no thanks Apple for taking away the nice pref pane to control app space assignments. Doing it with a right click on the dock icon is painful. :mad:

Anyway......assigning an app to a space works ok for some apps....but others it has a problem with.

For example.....the latest BBEdit......I have it assigned to Desktop 2. If I click on the app icon.....I'm taken to desktop 2. Ok that's good.....however, by default with me.....BBEdit doesn't open any windows.

So, say I go to Desktop 4 and I click on a .php file to edit.....instead of being taken back to Desktop 2 (like I was in SL), the BBEdit window opens in Desktop 4.

This also happens in my FTP editor (YummyFTP).

I think is has to do with apps that can be open....but not have any windows open. The Adobe apps used to have these problems in SL....but things like BBEdit and YummyFTP worked correctly in SL.....so I know it's a Lion issue.

-Kevin

2. rokurota macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm being dense, but how do you assign an application to a particular desktop/space? Firefox for example appears in each desktop as I switch between.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Trust me....your not dense. Apple made the whole thing completely unintuitive.

To assign an app to a space.....go to the space you want to assign the app to. While on that space....right click on the app icon (the app doesn't need to be open), and choose Options -> Assign To...This Desktop.

-Kevin

4. strausd macrumors 68030

I was getting really frustrated. I thought they just took the functionality out all together. But how do you rearrange your spaces for better organization? Or did they not allow users to do this? Also, how do you drag a window from one space to another, without first going to that space, going into mission control, and then moving it? Because in Snow Leopard I can go to spaces and drag any window from any space into any other space without any problems. So far, I don't like Lion.

5. MDTyKe macrumors regular

Cant you just drag it in MC?

If you aren't 'viewing' the right space, simply swipe sideways with 3 fingers while in MC.. it'll swoosh you across. Try it.

6. rokurota macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply - feeling slightly red faced because I spotted it myself just after posting... Lion - the differences are subtle and quite well hidden :)

7. DagazaGZ macrumors regular

DagazaGZ

Thx for posting this. Was exactly what I was looking for.

8. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

9. Meanie macrumors newbie

Same problem with pretty much every Adobe product. It was also an issue before IMO. I'm waiting for a fullscreen code editor.

10. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, Adobe apps never worked right in SL.

My problem is an app like BBEdit worked fine in SL and now it doesn't in Lion.

Hopefully.....maybe.....I can dream......that 10.7.1 will fix it right ?!?:p

-Kevin

11. netddos macrumors regular

I guess I wasn't the only one...window management worked just FINE with Leopard and SL..

BRING MY GOOD OLE SPACES FUNCTION BACK!!

12. strausd macrumors 68030

+1

They removed so much functionality from Spaces and Exposé with Lion.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've been running Lion since this morning, but I don't have the option to assign an App to a space. this is all I see when I right click an App and hover over options

Am I missing something?

Attached Files:

14. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you go into Mission Control....do you have multiple Desktops at the top?

You should be seeing it like this below.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

thank you kbmb! you alerted me to what my problem was (not having multiple desktops), which led me to a google search, found my solution and all is now well :cool:

16. advan031 macrumors 6502

Okay, finally figured this stupid new "spaces" out...lol They didn't make it easy as before;)

17. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to always have an application open in a new Desktop? I don't want to have 50 desktops for each app but I also don't want to open an app and have it open right over what I'm working on. Ideally I tell my major apps specific desktops and if I open a different application it will create a new Desktop and open in there. I can't find a setting but there is a lot which is hard to find at first so I'm hoping the logic is there.

18. StofUnited, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

StofUnited macrumors member

I 2nd that ks-man. I liked that in SL's spaces I could tell it to open an app always in a specific 'space'.

In Lion, it seems that you can't tell it to do that at all. You can tell it when that 'desktop' is open, but once you close that desktop or restart the computer it will not do it anymore.

I really don't want to have to continually assign apps to a desktop every single time I start up the computer.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Looks like I was all wrong - you can do it - I explain two posts below.

19. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Ugh, seriously?

Lion is going to give me an ulcer.

20. StofUnited macrumors member

Looks Like I did something wrong. This Time I got it to work.

You need to open a new 'desktop' then go to that desktop, right-click on your app in the dock and go to options/this desktop and just don't close that desktop ever :).

I think that works - we will see if I am wrong again.

21. imofean macrumors newbie

I tried everything. It seems like user can't manually arrange desktop order?
    I found that it is quite inconvenient when I use full screen mode.

e.g. my usual setting is :
    1. work space 2. full screen Safari 3. RSS and mail 4. video related apps

If I accidentally quit safari and reopen it in full screen mode, it'll automtically goes to the last of the group and there is no way for me to put it back between 1 and 3 unless I reopen all the apps again in that order.