Spaces/Desktops mixed randomly on dual-monitors like playing cards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dza, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dza, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

dza macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I've wondered this, since I bought my Macbook Pro:

WHY, does numbered desktops/spaces mix randomly like playing cards on the external monitors you have connected?

You can set up your desktops- then you disconnect, go home and have all your desktops merged on your laptop.

The next day, the numbers are mixed totally random like playing cards?

Separate spaces for each display is nice, but it doesn't seem to be aware of anything?

I put a marker on one of my screen cable-adapters - I ALWAYS connect them to the same thunderbolt-port - I do not swap them at any point.

I never had separate workspaces for monitors on Linux - but at least they always had the same position?

This makes spaces "just another desktop", but not for improving any workflow or having dedicated spaces for specific tasks?

It makes it impossible to consistently assign one application for one desktop!
    It makes it impossible to consistently use desktops in your workflow without looking up the desktop number everytime!

2. dza thread starter macrumors member

And there is no one who uses desktops as extensively as Linux and prefers Desktop number consistency ??

I'm baffled that no one is irritated by this ...

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I have no problems at all, and my spaces never get randomly jumbled up. They all stay unmoved.

For reference's sake, I've uploaded a screenshot of the settings that I use for multiple displays:

Attached Files: