Spaces: Do You Preset all your apps to certain Spaces, or open apps wherever?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, May 22, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hi.

I use 6 Spaces and was wondering if you pre-assign applications to certain Spaces and if you pre-assign Spaces to all of your most used apps, or just some?

I ask because I began assigning all of my most used apps to certain spaces, though in my day to day life will open random apps I normally wouldn't, such as Keynote, Calibre, Transmission, Handbrake, etc.

The feature to assign apps to spaces is there in OSX and am simply wondering how you go about it.

Thanks. :confused::confused::confused:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes. I have them in groups that are logical for my work flow. For instance, Excel and Calculator are assigned to the same Space. (I often need to add two cells from one file to get a number to enter in another, unlinked file.)

But you have me wondering if I have any apps that I open only rarely and are not assigned to a Space.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all the apps that i use frequently are assigned to spaces, grouped together where the workflow makes sense. the apps that i use rarely are not assigned to any particular space and open them when needed in the space that i need them in typically. works well enough for me.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I think the reason I asked about rarely opened apps and not having an assigned Space is because when this happens, it subconsciously destroys my Spaces setup; because I like apps to be opened as big and wide as they can. Perhaps this is why i'm anxiously waiting for Lion.

I've been doing this as well, however would really like it when I open those rare and few apps to open in an automatically created Space, only for the time being...and then when I close the app, the Space closes as well. A bit farfetched but I can dream.

Attached Files:

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that would be ideal, but i don't know how possible. perhaps you could have a space just for those apps and leave it unused the rest of the time? could be a possible temporary solution.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

True.

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I keep Mail open in Space 2, and use Space 1 for nearly everything else. I have a fee other programs that I don't need to look at that I assign to Space 3. I just have the 3 spaces in a line, instead of a grid, so I'm never more than a one-handed keyboard combo away from any of them.

jW

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have Spaces turned off, because I have too many applications that don't behave well with Spaces turned on. :eek:

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Close the Space and open which other Space? That's the problem.

To get an app to open in an "unassigned Space" I think you'd have to make it the active Space before opening the app.

10. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

What apps are having problems?

I use Spaces extensively, never had a issue with any of my apps...

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Eclipse and NetBeans, 2 Java IDEs, don't get along with Spaces - and these are the 2 applications I use the most.

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

I only have one application assigned to a specific Space: Adium on Space 2. I keep it open all the time on Space 2 so it's always handy, but out of the way of my other work.

Most of the time, I only use Space 1, but when I need to work on more than one thing (different papers for college, for instance) at a time, I use a different Space for each one. Really handy.

In addition, I use BetterTouchTool and have it set to change Space with a four finger swipe (right and left) instead of the default application switcher, which I never use anyway.