Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argon4k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I'm looking for a way to have new instances of certain applications in different spaces. For example, in space 1, I may want my general stuff (to include Word, Safari, Adium) and in space 2 I may want to do development work so I'd want a separate instance of Safari, a text editor, and an FTP program. The problem is I can't figure out how to do this. I was able to get a separate instance of Finder in each space, which is a step in the right direction. I found this[/b] thread by searching the forums and a user states how to get Safari into another space. However this is the same instance that's in another space, just on that particular space. If I close that window or tab, it closes it in the other space as well, which defeats the purpose of what I want.

Any tips? Thanks. :)

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Dont follow you. You want a Safari window in each space? Like so?

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 66

Argon4k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Yes, that appears to be exactly what I want. I want a separate Safari window (or whatever application I choose) in each window that's independent of the other spaces and thus any action I take on that application (say, Safari) won't affect the other instances in other spaces.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Well first, these are not separate environments. So if you quit safari in one, it quits in all.

But all you have to do is create a new window, then drag it to the edge of the screen for a few seconds. It will then be in that space where you can now create more windows etc without springing back to the originating space.

Or you can create a couple new windows in once space and then bring up the spaces grid, as above, and drag the new windows to each space you want.

There may be a way to get an automator action that you can place in the dock to "create a new "safari" window in this space. Then that way when you are in one space or "workflow" you don't have to go back to the original space to make a window.

EDIT: Oh! I take some of that back. If you are in a new workspace without a Safari window but Safari is open in another, just right click or control click on the Safari icon in the dock and select "new window" and one will be created in the existing space.

Is this what you are looking for then?

Argon4k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005

Well first, these are not separate environments. So if you quit safari in one, it quits in all.

But all you have to do is create a new window, then drag it to the edge of the screen for a few seconds. It will then be in that space where you can now create more windows etc without springing back to the originating space.

Or you can create a couple new windows in once space and then bring up the spaces grid, as above, and drag the new windows to each space you want.

There may be a way to get an automator action that you can place in the dock to "create a new "safari" window in this space. Then that way when you are in one space or "workflow" you don't have to go back to the original space to make a window.

EDIT: Oh! I take some of that back. If you are in a new workspace without a Safari window but Safari is open in another, just right click or control click on the Safari icon in the dock and select "new window" and one will be created in the existing space.

Is this what you are looking for then?
Partly, but if I go to a new space right now, the current Safari Window I'm typing in will be in that space as well. I don't want that. If I close the Safari window in the new space, it closes in the original space as well. That defeats the entire purpose (for my needs, anyway) of using Spaces.

Edit: I just tried what you said, and it did what I thought it would. It deleted the Safari window in both Spaces.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
I just dont see how you are getting the SAME window in each space. It does not work like that....

Are you sure you are not just dragging the ONE window around to each space?

If you have a Safari window open in space 1, then go to space 2 there should be no Safari window open. If you click on Safari on the dock, it takes you back to space one. If you have a Safari window open in each space, click on the dock icons will rotate through each space.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I just dont see how you are getting the SAME window in each space. It does not work like that....

Are you sure you are not just dragging the ONE window around to each space?

You CAN get a window to follow you from space to space, which is what he has got. What he needs to do, is open multiple safari windows and then drag one to each space.

Argon4k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
You CAN get a window to follow you from space to space, which is what he has got. What he needs to do, is open multiple safari windows and then drag one to each space.
Correct, for some reason Safari is following me from Space to Space, and I don't want that. However, I have tried opening multiple Safari windows and dragging them to another Space, but the main Safari window still follows me and any changes I make to any of the Safari windows affects it in all the Spaces.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Correct, for some reason Safari is following me from Space to Space, and I don't want that. However, I have tried opening multiple Safari windows and dragging them to another Space, but the main Safari window still follows me and any changes I make to any of the Safari windows affects it in all the Spaces.

Go into you Spaces settings in system prefs. You probably have safari set to be in all spaces, remove that.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Ok.... that makes sense. But I have no clue how to stop that, much less start that. I dont seem to have that problem and I dont see a setting for it unless for some reason apps are assigned to specific spaces?

edit: swiftaw, ok, makes sense... hope that works!

Argon4k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005

Go into you Spaces settings in system prefs. You probably have safari set to be in all spaces, remove that.
Thanks! That seemed to have solved it. Hopefully this will now begin working the way I want.

Thanks for the help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.