Spaces Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nic01scgt, Aug 5, 2008.

1. nic01scgt macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new here and I think I have a problem with my Spaces application. I have it set to use the Apple key + a number to switch from space to space. However, when I hold the apple key and hit a number it will not switch spaces. I have Safari opened in space one, and iTunes opened in space two. When in space one I hold apple+2 but it will not switch to my second space. When in space 2 I can click apple+1 and it WILL go back to space one but not vice versa. Also, the same thing happens withe apple+ arrow key. It will not switch spaces when I hold the apple key and use the arrows...

Thanks for any help

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's because that hotkey is blocked, or used by something, etc. Just keep it as the default, Control+# and get used to it.

3. nic01scgt thread starter macrumors newbie

Is control the one that looks like this: ^ ? If so, that doesn't work either. I can be in any space either 2,3,4 and use hot key+1, but I cannot move to any other space. The only space I can move to is back to 1.

4. nic01scgt thread starter macrumors newbie

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Does CONTROL + Arrow key work for you? (Control is to the left of the OPTION key)

6. nic01scgt thread starter macrumors newbie

That won't work either. I'm hitting ctrl + arrow but it won't switch spaces. I don't know if this helps but when I hold control + 1 to switch back to space one it will bring up what looks like a spaces menu thing. I outlined it in this picture:
    [​IMG]

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think you are switching spaces, it just doesn't look like it because you don't have any windows open. Open up some Windows and press 'switch spaces' hotkey combo. Your windows will move off the screen.

8. nic01scgt thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not switching spaces. I have iTunes opened in space 2 and it won't switch over. Also, on the top bar it has the black space icon with a number in the middle saying what space you're in. Mine stays on 1. Like I said, I can switch from any space back to space 1. I see the spaces switch over and the number changes from 2,3, or 4 to space 1.

Something else I noticed was when you click the black space icon in the top menu bar it will drop down a menu with your space numbers in it. When I click ctrl + the space number it will highlight that space in blue but not switch to it...

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It sounds like your spaces is broken, have you tried disabling spaces, restarting, enabling again?

10. nic01scgt thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL! That did the trick! I swear I've done that 1000 times but when I disabled/re-enabled it magically works. Thanks brother!