Spaces: How Many Do You Use? How Frequent? Set-Up? Tips?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Jan 15, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Simply, I love Spaces. Allows me to have an individual pane for each subject I may be working on, usually college work, eBay business, music, one for just surfing the web and another for mail and calendars...

I'm deeply curious as to how others use Spaces and how you've got it configured for your personal ease of use.

I've tried having a bunch of spaces like 9 or so but sometimes I think that's just too much, though useful. Since I've had OS X Leopard I've stuck with 4 spaces. One for music solely, another for internet browsing for just killing time or researching school work, another Space for Pages/Word and another for Mail. Or interchange their use and select a Space for online business work. Or financing my accounts. I love Spaces, it works well to switch to a Space set up with Pages and research quickly if someone gets near when I'm actually just killing time on Digg.com

Post any tips, suggestions you may concerning Spaces and how to enjoy it further and implement some useful techniques. For example, I've set up a few apps to open to corresponding Spaces only so all my work under that category stays within that space.

2. MrM macrumors 6502

I can honestly say I have no need for spaces. When I want to do more than one thing, I use the minimize button. Works like a charm.

3. Ploki macrumors 68010

im alt+clicking the dock hiding apps windows.

no spaces

4. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I use spaces fairly frequently for design, music and web.

Sometimes they can screw up though - it can be frustrating.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

6 spaces. 2 rows and 3 columns. I find that to best fit my needs.

I do use Spaces a lot. My biggest annoyance: when Photoshop and Word sometimes don't work right when switching between spaces. :(

6. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

This can get quite annoying - it's not just photoshop either - it's the whole CS4 suite that plays up.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I use four to nine of them, depending on which computer and the mood I'm in;)

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I used to use it with Linux (it exists since ages on Linux) but now as I am on Mac I don't use it anymore. I prefer to have two screens or a 24'.

9. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

i use 2 spaces.. one for windows in vm fusion and the other is mac. multitouch expose helps ALOT with managing space in the small estate i have.

10. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Yup, I hear that.

Still bust out 1 row of 3. Would love to have 3 real screens though, (I can dream...):eek:

11. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Really? I'm still on CS3 and that has problems but I really thought CS4 would be fully Leopard compatible.

I use 8 spaces. Top tip: leave a window open.

12. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I still had that issue with CS3. I would have thought that Adobe would have fixed the problem in CS4.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I don't use it, but i've never really tried it. Cmd+Tab and Cmd+` works fine for me.

I often run a combination of iTunes, Safari, Photoshop, FireFox, Mail and EyeTV across my MacBook and a 24" external display; what kind of Spaces setup do you reckon I should try?

14. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Another myth is that that CS4 is significantly faster - it's a bit quicker but not much in it...