Spaces issue with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XenoXelloss, Feb 28, 2011.

1. XenoXelloss macrumors newbie

XenoXelloss

I'd like to know if anyone can rectify this issue. Ever since I installed SL, I have always had this horrible lag with Spaces, most notably when dragging a Space window to another Space. Dragging an application window from one Space to another or transitioning from one space to another is fine though. Whether I'm running anything or nothing, it is still there. It was smooth in Leopard but this has been ongoing with every update. I have 10.6.6 installed on a MBP 2.6 Penryn. Has anyone experienced this issue and have any means to fix it?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Before or after installing 10.6 did you upgrade your RAM? Does your computer meet the recommended system requirements for 10.6, not just the minimum?

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

4. XenoXelloss thread starter macrumors newbie

XenoXelloss

I have a fully loaded pre-unibody MBP 2.6 Penryn (4GB Ram, 8600GT 512MB). I think this is more than adequate for OS X previous or current. I think I know a thing or two about Macs given my 15+ years of usage and not to mention being an electrical engineer to boot. A "Space Window" as I could best describe is one of the virtual windows when using the Spaces function in OS X Leopard/SL. So if you activate Spaces, you will be introduced to a grid of many virtual windows or a "Space" per say. I am able to drag an application window from one "Space" to another with smooth transitions, but when grabbing an entire Space or Virtual Window and moving it to another Space, an incredibly bad lag is induced. This is a best example of what I am describing but my condition is even worse:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/jleedev/videos/3/

Anyone have any solutions for this issue or is this an ongoing bug in OS X SL?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't think I can drag Space 2 to Space 1 in Leopard, only individual windows, one at a time. But, if it's faster, smoother, etc. to do that three or four times, why not do it that way? Now, I can understand your frustration if it worked better in the past. I'd suggest logging in under a different user account to see if the problem remains.

6. XenoXelloss thread starter macrumors newbie

XenoXelloss

Under a different account, the same behavior occurs. I have done clean reinstalls in the past as well and it still occurs. I don't know if this is possibly attributed to the graphics card/drivers. I have tried the beamsync solution for the lagging animations/transitions but this does not rectify it and I do not have that problem as well.

7. javier29m90, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

javier29m90 macrumors newbie

u can drag spaces and not only individual windows,that feature is SLOW in snow leopard 10.6.0 to 10.6.7,see this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btS324R9a8

P.S.: they have done 7 updates to the system, and have not set correctly this,incredible.