Spaces "jumps" to active Application

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johny5, Jan 2, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I have had a look around for the answer to my question but cant find one :(
    I use spaces and in one space I have macpar running extracting files whilst I am happily working in another space.

When the files have finished extracting I get thrown to the space where Macpar is sat and I really dont want that, I could be halfway through writing an email or in a spreadsheet so really dont want to be thrown back to the macpar app space to see that it has finished.
    Is there any way around this? ie let macpar decompress everything, then finish and when I am ready I can navigate to that space myself.

thanks!

2. Psicotec macrumors newbie

I've also noted this behavior and thought that it was something Apple would be fixing with 10.5.1. But they didn't. Maybe with 10.5.2. At least an option to turn off automatic switches between Spaces would be nice.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

This isn't Apple's fault, it's the specific application's fault for calling itself to focus. Send a request to the program's developer to remove the focus call.

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

But shouldn't we be able to setup Spaces to ignore focus calls from the non-current space?

Cheers,

5. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

You would think that it would default to only call focus within it's space... the whole idea of spaces is to have multiple things going on independently of one another.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

No, because often times and application really does need your attention and should bring you to it. Imagine that you right click on the application's icon in the dock and try to quit, but you have an unsaved document–the application now needs to take focus to prompt you to do something.

What I'm saying is that there are proper and improper uses of applications grabbing focus on their own. Some application developers seem to think that it's a necessary thing for random task completions, but they start to overuse it. This is just like the original poster is talking about: a task finishes and doesn't actually need to prompt the user to perform an action, but takes focus anyway.

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If that space is my active space I'm fine with that; but shouldn't I be able to choose if I want to be interrupted by anything in the non-current space?

Cheers,

8. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

I do agree, however I think there should be options in both the application and OSX spaces prefs with regards to turning it on or off.

Even better, how about in the spaces prefs you can specify individual apps to be able to allow or disable the control of the focus window, in a similar way that you already have the option as to which space the applications reside.