Spaces Lag

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr.PS, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I have 3-4 apps open in each space. I have 6gb of ram, 2.5gb of which are in use. When i go to the spaces view (f8). It's choppy - is this normal? Well by normal I mean does anyone else have it?

I also get some choppiness here and there when I jump in between spaces with ctrl+arrows. Does anyone else have this? I'm reformatting a large raid array with disk utilities, so that may be the culprit, but it really should not be, since there is no i/o from it on my main drive.

I'm running 10.5.2 with the graphics update and an 8800GT on a 8 core 2.8ghz Mac Pro

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I've never had any problems with spaced on my MBP (specs in my sig). But then again, I never have as many programs running as you say you do.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I have 15 applications (Mail, Safari, Adium, Address Book, iCal, Preview, Pixelmator, iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, TextWrangler, and VLC) open on my MacBook Pro (specifications in signature) and everything is smooth as butter on 10.5.2 with the Leopard Graphics Update. Check to see if the CPU is getting hammered at all, it could possibly be a factor in any graphics glitches.

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

cpu is free as a bird :) Less then 5% usage on all 8 cores.

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

no problems running multiple apps, can't see the RAM being the issue, but at least if it is you got lifetime warranty on it, try resetting the PRAM, might help.

6. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no real problems, but there is a snag or two here and there when running 4 spaces with 3-4 apps open in each. Especially when loading dashboard or expose in the spaces view f8. I took a video, maybe it's normal and I'm just paranoid. I asked a few people including Chris Pirillo (live.pirillo.com) and he gets some snags here and there to. He has a 8 core 3.2ghz mac pro with the 8800GT as well.

7. plumpan macrumors regular

I get choppiness when switching spaces, opening dashboard, and opening stacks on my dock (in grid view) from time to time. I notice its usually right after I come back to the computer after letting it idle for a bit. I use 4 spaces, and they are usually all empty except the 1st (with firefox, songbird, ichat, and lightweight programs) and 4th (vmware in the 4th running xp). My specs are 2.6 SR MBP with 2 gb memory running 10.5.2.