Spaces not releasing keyboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mal, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

So I've got a weird issue. When I switch Spaces (I use the default Ctrl-arrow method), the little indicator that shows up in the middle of the screen won't go away, and the keyboard no longer responds in any other application. If I ssh into the machine or use the mouse to navigate to Activity Monitor and kill the Dock, that indicator goes away and the keyboard responds again, but if I switch spaces using the keyboard again, the problem immediately returns. If I switch spaces using the mouse by clicking on an open application in the Dock, however, the indicator only comes up during the switch and then goes away, as it should.

As troubleshooting steps, I've already tried another user account, which does not experience the problem, and then I tried deleting the com.apple.dock.plist file in my user library, which did not resolve the problem (I have since replaced the original, so I don't lose all of my Dock and Spaces settings). I also considered the possibility that DoubleCommand was part of the issue, as I have remapped my right option key to act as a control key instead (so that I can switch spaces with one hand, instead of needing both hands to do it), but disabling that did not help.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

jW

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are Spaces prefs stored in the ...dock.plist file? I realize that Spaces and Expose do not have their own plist files in ~/Library/Preferences. I've wondered if maybe the systempreferences.plist file was the right one for them, or desktop.plist perhaps.

What about using Pacifist to snatch Spaces off of your OS disc?

3. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

When I deleted the com.apple.dock.plist file, all of my spaces settings were wiped out, so yes, they must be stored there. I could try using Pacifist to reinstalll Dock.app (since Spaces is not a separate app in and of itself). I'll give it a try and report back…

jW

4. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

OK, so using Pacifist to reinstall both Dock.app (in CoreServices) and Spaces.app (in the Utilities folder) did not resolve the issue. Any other ideas? I'm not sure where to look next…

jW

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, I think I'd migrate everything to a new User Account, and unload the one that is screwed up.

6. smirking macrumors 6502a

I'm having this issue too. I found another thread where someone suggested killing the Dock in Activity Monitor to restore your keyboard. This works for me, but I find that once this bug starts, it happens again everytime I use a shortcut key plus a number to go to a space. If I hit my Spaces F1 key and click on a space, it's fine. If I switch to a space by switching a program, it's fine.

I use Command + Num to quickly switch between spaces. Only this method causes this bug for me.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I have this issue as well.. I just gave up and disabled spaces.
    I found that using resource heavy programs would cause it. It would ALWAYS happen with vmware, and sometimes when watching an HD video.. Or if I am using XBMC.

8. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

OK, so it does seem in my case to be related to FunctionFlip. I disabled it and restarted, and the problem has not returned.

jW

9. celticpride678