Spaces preferences carried over to Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by swedefish, Jul 21, 2011.

1. swedefish macrumors 6502

As the title states, I'm wondering if Spaces preferences carried over to Lion?

This is why I ask: in Snow Leopard I configured my Spaces settings so that iCal could open in any space whereas Mail.app belonged in Space #2. I am using a dual screen setup at my desk and I am able to put iCal on the secondary screen and keep it there while switching between desktops. However, if I put Mail.app on the secondary screen, it appears to fix itself on one desktop and, consequently, when I flip between my desktops, Mail.app does not remain on my secondary screen (as with iCal), but rather it's attached to whichever desktop I used when I launched it. And to be clear: I am not using either iCal or Mail.app in full screen.

Is this how Lion is supposed to work or is this some odd glitch? Is there a workaround?

2. swedefish thread starter macrumors 6502

3. timbos macrumors member

I've had a similar, but opposite problem. I had set Mail to appear on every space so when I switched spaces on Lion, it appeared shortly afterwards in front of whatever I was wanting to see.
    I had a look in the com.apple.spaces.plist, and there's a section called app-bindings with a key for com.apple.mail, and the value 'AllSpaces'.

I solved my issue by dragging the Mail window to the next space (drag it to the right hand edge of the screen), but you might try adding the prefs key for iCal in the same way as I had for Mail.