Spaces Problem - Windows/Application won't stay in their Space!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bokser, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Bokser Guest

Hi guys!

I am new to OS X and so far I had no problems :)

What I have now is a mere annoying thing, but still I hope to resolve it.

Problem in words: I have set up 4 spaces. I was able to drag 2-3 different apps to different spaces of their own (eg. Excel in one, iCal in the second, and Mail in the third). All is good. BUT when I try to switch between spaces - the widndows/apps seem to gather in one space. Meaning that I just want to see the BLANK space I have left (fourth space) but the applications follow me there. OR - if I want to see only iCal on one of the spaces I dragged it to - the Excel app will inevitably also show up there. I would really like to keep them separated. Space for each app. Only app and the desktop.

I know my problem wording might be confusing, so I recorded a screenflow movie:

http://rapidshare.com/files/128398572/ScreenFlow.mov.html

(6MB - Rapidshare)

Thank you so much, in advance!!
    :):apple:

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Have you upgraded to 10.5.4 yet? It fixes issues with Spaces.

Use the combo updater and do it in Safe Boot mode. Use Disk Utility after reboot to repair permissions.

3. Bokser thread starter Guest

I should have mentioned - yes, I am running Leopard OS 10.5.4, latest update.

:confused:

4. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

from what i have heard is that MS acknowledges they screwed up office when it comes to spaces, but it's at a core level of office, and they cbf fixing it.

5. Fromethius macrumors member

Try iWork or OpenOffice

From what I have gathered about Office 08 for the mac, it is incredibly slow and a while ago it caused a permissions error that made your system break [Link]. However, I have not heard of whether or not that was fixed. Also, the Spaces issue of course, and having to run the bloated Microsoft code on your mac, screwing up your file system.

I recently got a mac and after using Microsoft Office for a good part of my life and then OpenOffice during my transition period, when I finally got one I decided to try iWork. Let me tell you it is great. Pages is just like Office only more powerful with the same features where-as you can quickly figure things out and then even if you need it as an Office document you can export it as such. I digress.

Have you tried using OpenOffice Calc? I haven't heard much about it but from what I see it looks just like Excel.