Spaces Question, External Monitor

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ste6168, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ste6168 macrumors newbie

Hey all.

I have a MBAir connected to a 27" Samsung external monitor via thunderbolt to HDMI adapter at my desk. My question is, when I leave my desk to attend a meeting, or otherwise, I disconnect my monitor and anything open on the external monitor "desktop 2" gets moved to "desktop 1." I am looking for a way to have the external maintain it's space, and just shift to the laptop monitor. Then when I return to my desk, plug in the external, and boom, space moves back! Is this possible? I haven't been able to figure out a way to make this happen yet.

Thanks!

2. ste6168 thread starter macrumors newbie

Been posted a few days, no one can help/offer suggestions?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You don't want stuff left hanging in a Space on a monitor that you can't see. Hence the move back.

I do know that with my two-monitored Mac Pro, one monitor of which is actually an iMac, that if I toggle the iMac on and off the windows on it's monitor do what you want: they move back to the iMac when it becomes available again. But that may not work with a laptop. In any case, I'm using TotalSpaces.

Do you have "Displays have separate Spaces" activated in Mission Control? Maybe that's why it works for me.

4. ste6168 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, that works. The windows move back to the external again. What I am looking to do is have the entire "space" move. When I unplug the monitor, space 2 merges with space one, and the applications that were on the external are now shown on the space one, merged with whatever else is on space 1. I then have to manually move it to another space, which takes time, and decreases efficiency.

Seems like there would be a way or option to maintain the entire space... Maybe I am not explaining it well? I dont know...