Spaces question/idea: "Sticky" Applications in Spaces

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mach, Jun 13, 2007.

1. mach macrumors regular

I have a question regarding Spaces, for anyone who has had the chance to use it or just for speculation:

Can you designate a program to be on all of your Spaces? I find having multiple desktops very useful but I would like to be able to assign certain programs to be available on every desktop/space so I don't have to switch to that space to use it.

For example, iChat or Adium. If I have a space where I'm surfing the internet and a space where I'm working in Photoshop while talking to a buddy at the same time, I'd like to have that window in both spaces, rather than having to switch from the Photoshop space to the Safari space (if that's where iChat was last) to answer the IMs and vice versa.

In other words, I'd like to be able to have programs that one has to tend to often (like IM programs) to be on all (or at least more than one) of the spaces, so if you move to a different space you don't have to keep switching to the space it's on or drag it back and forth.

I hope Apple either has or will put this feature in, as I think it would be quite useful! What does everyone think?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

To be honest, I haven't heard if that's a feature or not, but it's definitely an interesting idea. I could see that being of use.

That being said, I believe you could still Command-tab to the application if you see it jumping in the dock, even though it isn't in that particular "space".

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

In the demo video, they show by clicking the application icon in the dock , the appropriate space containing that app is loaded.

4. mach thread starter macrumors regular

I know about this, but wouldn't it be a tad bit more productive / quicker to avoid the jump to another space by being able to have that program be on all of the spaces?

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I don't see the productivity increase? Both actions require you to mouse and click (or command+tab). One would be mouse and click on IM program while the other would be mouse and click on dock icon. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Having the same app on every space seems to contradict the point of spaces.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't see it so much as a productivity thing as much as a visibility thing. Most apps will only "jump" for so long to alert you. If you had something like Adium open on all spaces, you could track your chats more readily.

It loses value for apps that you're not looking to monitor regularly.

7. mach thread starter macrumors regular

I can see the multiple spaces feature being useful for iChat, as stated. This way you can just glance at an IM window in the same space, answer it without having to move over or move back, if you have your buddy list on the side, you can see it from each space, etc. Something like that. I guess it's the same idea as docking a window in Windows (since windows in Windows run full screen most of the time), so you can be able to see it at any time without having to switch over.

Right. I suppose it would only be useful for programs like Adium.

8. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I use Virtue Desktops right now, and the dock icon bounces no matter which "space" you're in. Then, if you click the icon, it goes to the program. I would guess it would be similar in Spaces.

9. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Yeah, but with things like Adium or iChat, you just want to glance over to it to see if someones online etc. You don't want to have to keep clicking the icon to go to the space its on to check, then go back to the space your working at.

Very good point by the OP, and to be honest if you can't do this it'd probably stop me from using Spaces at all.

10. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

True, I guess I have Growl enabled, so I get notifications when people sign on. It hasn't bothered me too much. If I need to see my buddy list, I flip over quickly and flip back.

11. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yep I agree with the OP- I think it would be very useful. Basically have the option to make some applications "sticky" so that they follow you wherever you jump in spaces.

12. mach thread starter macrumors regular

I like this idea-- 'Sticky' Spaces. I'm going to rename the thread after this, so people will understand what it's about. :)

I am going to find Spaces very useful, but the option of having 'sticky' spaces would help a great deal--although to be truthful adium/iChat are the only programs I can imagine it benefitting at the moment. Does anyone have any other ideas of programs or situations where 'sitcking' would come in handy?

13. keister macrumors newbie

I was just looking for something just like this when I came across this thread. I wanted a sticky app for my iTunes (when it's in the mini-iTunes mode).

I think this type of sticky app could be very useful for small programs that don't take too much space :) I mean that's why we're using "Spaces" anyway right? cause we need more space?

14. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the Exposé & Spaces Preference already allow you to do this?

Attached Files:

15. bed macrumors member

16. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

it does work, very well, the only niggle i have, is if you goto a space with only ichat in it, when you return to a "more cluttered" space, ichat is focus'd, even if it wasnt when you left the space. a bit annoying but nothing serious.

17. keister macrumors newbie

oh! it does! Thanks ;) so the original poster doesn't want sticky apps. It wants sticky windows?

18. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Yes, you can have apps that appear in all spaces, but I think that being able to stick individual windows would be fantastic.

I often find myself answering to Adium IMs but if I move space, I have to drag it with me.

Now, I only really use one space most of the time and have the others for things like Mail and Contact lists, and iTunes. But the option of having a sticky window would be nice in the instance that I go to another space to use an application that may require more screen real estate, such as Final Cut or Flash.

It would just be a time saver in the fact that you don't need to switch spaces. You just have it with you all the time.

Maybe a button on the windows (similar to the tic tac?) that would toggle the stickiness?

Maybe even have it as an optional button that you can enable in the spaces preference so that no-one is annoyed by the inclusion?

19. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a