Spaces? the program

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellzprince1, Feb 28, 2008.

1. hellzprince1 macrumors member

2. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

It's an application which allows you to designate certain programs to run in different 'screens'. It acts as several desktops - so for instance you can place all of your Safari, Adium, and iTunes stuff on one 'desktop' and all of your work stuff like Microsoft Word and Powerpoint in another (or which eve configuration you want - obviously). You can access it through hot corners, or through the dock. You can also drag applications between different spaces, so once you set an application to run in one 'desktop', it doesn't have to stay there.

Hope this sums it up short and clearly enough :)

3. bamf macrumors 6502

It allows you to have virtual desktops that you can segregate your applications to. For instance, you could do your word processing in Space 1, web surfing in Space 2, etc.

It's a convenience feature that has been in *nix OSes for years.

4. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i keep adium in one, safari in two, itunes in three, and mail in four, and keep them in that order in my dock. it makes things much less cluttered, i can keep my IM windows spaced out on one screen and never worry about safari blocking them. i love it.

5. pseudonym~ macrumors newbie

I don't yet have a Macbook Pro, but I was wondering - I've seen videos of the "Smackbook Pro" where the side is lightly smacked and the screen changes from one to the other. Is this changing from one "space" to another, or am I referring to something else?

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to switch between these?

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The "smackbook" demo was probably a little bit of code that takes advantage of the sudden motion sensor and used in conjunction with some other existing virtual desktop app. "Spaces" is just Apple's built-in solution for Leopard.

I've got the keyboard shortcut for Spaces set up as Ctrl + direction key (up, down, left, right) to move between Spaces or Ctrl + Number to jump to a specific Space.