spaces with dual monitors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by landis, Apr 13, 2008.

1. landis macrumors regular

i was wondering if their is any way to use spaces independent of each monitor,
    meaning that if space 1 was on monitor 1, and space 2 was on monitor 2, i could switch monitor 2 to space 3 while keeping monitor 1 on space 1.

i feel that this will be a better way to use spaces with multiple monitors, rather than many extended desktops.

say you want internet work on one space, then different word documents on 2 other spaces. if you could switch between those documents while keeping the internet on the same space.

i know that this can be sort of accomplished be setting apps to appear in every window, but that is a hack and annoying solution.

this would be a great addition to 10.3 - more customization!

2. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

im wondering the same thing! just got another monitor and man thats annoying! cant seem to find any help on the web though...:confused::(

3. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

DING DING DING...i think i found it, another thread on here shows that if u tell the applications u want to say on every space then it will remain there. works so far, i have pownce and itunes on my monitor and everything else is is on different spaces that i have on my macbook pro :rolleyes:

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but what you're describing sounds really complicated to actually achieve in your workflow...Wouldn't it make more sense to just use the Spaces overview and drag the Word or whatever into the dual monitor space your internet is in?

Like so:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. brad103 macrumors newbie

It's a shame if you can't, as I've currently got this setup in linux using 2 monitors, each running on its own X Screen. Even though its not possible to drag windows between screens like this, its far and away the most productive setup I've used, and have been using now for 18 months. Will move to mac soon and will definitely miss this ability if not there.