Spaces with multi touch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnotherFanBoy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Hey

I have started using spaces quite a bit recently and I'm not a huge user of exposé. I was wondering if there was a way to change the 4 fingered swipe to switch between spaces? So swiping 4 fingers up would go to the space above and similar actions with left, right and down.

Any ideas? Would anyone else like to see this?

2. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i would .... love to see this.

im gonna key an eye on this thread for solutions.

3. reservedegotist macrumors regular

Does MultiClutch work?
    Set it up to call the spaces shortcut instead of Expose

4. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I can add Spaces to multiclutch easily, the situation lies in setting up an appropiate keyboard shortcut within Spaces that MultiClutch can recognize.

Spaces keyboard shortcuts must include fn+F#, and while trying to add that keyboard shortcut in MultiClutch, it wont allow me to add such a shortcut.

If it was something like Command+5 or w/e...then it would easily work.

Let me know if you find an answer.

5. valvehead macrumors regular

You need to temporarily disable the shortcuts in the Spaces prefpane. That way you can add the key combos in the Multiclutch prefpane without accidentally activating Spaces. After you assign the key combos to Multiclutch, go back to the Spaces prefpane and reassign the shortcuts.

Also, you probably shouldn't add Spaces to the list in Multiclutch. That list is to modify the actions that Multiclutch will take when a particular app already has focus. If you add the gestures for Spaces only, then those gestures will only work when Spaces is active. You need to add the gestures to Global instead. That way you will be able to activate Spaces no matter which app has focus.

Unfortunately Multiclutch has not been updated, and there hasn't been a response to recent comments on the developer's site. As it stands, in Leopard it doesn't work properly with Carbon apps (i.e. Finder), and there are no options for four-finger gestures. From the comments I've read, it appears that in Snow Leopard it only works with 32-bit apps. Since the date of the last release was March 5, 2008, the prospect of an update doesn't look too promising.