Spaces with second monitor... HELP! URGENT

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MagicTramp, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MagicTramp macrumors newbie

I am about to go purchase a second monitor in the next hour. The way i have spaces set up now is that when i click itunes, it shoves it into space 2. Perfect.

Now, i would like to have my external monitor set up so that when i click itunes it loads up in the external monitor. I really dont want to launch it on my MBP monitor and drag it into the second monitor everytime i want to use it, i would like to default it into the second monitor.

How would i go about this? Can it be done? Would i have space 2 dedicated to my external monitor? Help me quick, an hour and i have to decide whether i would want/need an external monitor!

Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't have Spaces work independently. You can't keep iTunes on the second monitor wherever you are.

3. MagicTramp thread starter macrumors newbie

So everytime i want to use itunes, i have to load it up then drag it into the second display? Is there NO WAY of defaulting apps to the second display when they launch?

Cheers

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can certainly put an application on the second display, and Mac OS X will remember this preference for next time it is launched. However, each Space spans ALL monitors, not just 1 monitor.

5. Molnies macrumors member

As wrldwzrd89 said, you can place an app on the second monitor and then have it launch there every time. If you want that app to always be visible on your second display simply go into the Spaces preferences and set that app to show in every space — that way you can have it so you switch space on the main display but the 2nd display stays the same (unless you drag more apps there that aren't set to all spaces). I have it like that with Adium, so it's always visible on my 2nd display, no matter what space I'm in.

6. MagicTramp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah guys, this is brilliant. Basically i only use 2 spaces, 1 for browsing and work, the other for finder and terminal.

So, in effect, i can disable spaces and place (say) my browsing and work (MS word) on the second monitor... job done?

And will it remember the placement even if i shut down/restart?

Thanks a million.

7. Molnies macrumors member

Absolutely, they will remember their placement no matter what. The only problem I see is MS Word, which does not play nice with neither Spaces nor dual monitors (MS Word does actually move the window and resizes it sometimes, which is one of the reasons I switched to Pages — however using MS Word on the primary monitor in a dual setup is no problem, it just doesn't like being placed on the secondary). I haven't really looked, maybe there's a work-around for the dual monitor problem at least...

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll find a great solution, dual monitors are a wonderful thing to have!