Spaces

Discussion in 'macOS' started by honeycombz, Oct 6, 2016.

1. honeycombz macrumors 6502

honeycombz

How are people using Spaces in OS X? I usually just rock one desktop and never really felt a need to have multiple spaces but am interested in doing so if someone else inspires me with their usage of spaces.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

I found that some people just think differently. I have been used to Exposé and found the organisation with Spaces unnecessarily cumbersome. Whenever I started mixing them up, I always ended with additional windows across several Spaces and the clean separation was no longer apparent. I really only use it when I have so many windows open that I need some breathing room, but that does not happen often to me.

I once saw someone using Spaces meticulously many years ago (Snow Leopard), separating all applications into Spaces as if all Spaces combined where one huge desktop. You were able to configure up to 16 Spaces. They used hotkeys to get a bird’s-eye view, almost never using Exposé, and could drag and drop windows from that view to other Spaces. This bird’s-eye view is what got lost in the transition to Mission Control with Lion. Nevertheless, I do use Spaces for applications that do not support full-screen mode that well. I bind them to a specific Space and make them full-size.

iu-1.jpeg

3. honeycombz thread starter macrumors 6502

honeycombz

Yea, not sure how I feel about it. I can minimize any Application just as easily.

4. KALLT macrumors 601

Since El Capitan, Spaces are not even expanded anymore by default in Mission Control. They have been de-emphasising the feature.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is there really something left that Apple calls "Spaces"? If so, where do I find it? (El Cap) -Not at my Mac.

6. KALLT macrumors 601

It is mentioned in System Preferences under Mission Control. You can create Spaces in Mission Control.

7. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Spaces are called "Desktops" now. Access Desktops by hitting the Mission Control hotkey and the + sign in the upper righthand corner to add. You can move to a space using control + Left/Right arrow. They operate similarly as Linux Desktops do.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's what I thought. Yeah, I use 'em.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2016 ---
    Oops! missed that, just read the last post. Now I've gotta look.