Spaces

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sgtbob, Dec 21, 2008.

1. sgtbob macrumors regular

sgtbob

Can someone direct me to an article or discussion about how to use SPACES? I am used to additional screens/spaces in Ubuntu, and think they are a super feature. BUT, but I do not seem to be able to figure out how to use SPACES. i.e., I run both Windows XP and Ubuntu through FUSION as virtual machines. Is there a way to make Windows appear on one Space and Ubuntu on another? Or is that possible?

Bob :confused:
    iMac, 24", 3.06

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

OS X's Spaces separates application windows by apps. So if you're running multiple VMs, they will always start in the space you've assigned to Fusion (or in the current Space if you haven't made any assignments). You can't specify that Windows opens in Space 1 and Ubuntu in Space 2. The best you can do is drag the Windows VM to another space after starting it. But (I think) the next time you start the VM you'll have to move it again (my daughter's using the Mac where I have my VMs so I can't double check).

By the way, I'm assuming you've already enabled Spaces from System Preferences -> Expose and Spaces.

3. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

So - If I read you correct, I would have to have multiple VM's to use the Windows and Ubuntu as I had envisioned? Not sure how I would have multiple VM's. I seem to have both OS's running in one VM as best I can tell - I'm still learning my iMAC, so these things are a bit daunting. Perhaps I should remove the Ubuntu OS and have only one OS in the VM.

Yes- I do have have Spaces enabled thru preferences.

Bob

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm not sure what you mean by multiple OS's in one VM, unless you're confusing the Fusion app with the VMs it's running.

You have WMWare Fusion - when you start it you should get a window like the one I'm attaching. When you select the Windows entry, the Windows VM starts in a window. When you select a Linux entry, a VM starts in another window. These are separate VMs running inside Fusion. Fusion isn't the VM, it's just the app that runs the VMs.

Since the VMs run inside Fusion windows, they are attached to Fusion and so are constrained by Spaces being applied to apps.

Sorry for the duplicate post. Not sure how that happened.

Attached Files:

5. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

I'm new to this, and I see what you mean - I was able to drag my Windows to a space and Ubuntu to another as I hope to show in the attachment - if I can figure out how to attach an item.

BTW - how did you get the screen shot to appear in the message\?

Bob

Attached Files:

6. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You'll have to upload your image using the "Manage Attachments" button under "Additional Options" on the new post page.

8. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

This is what I have been trying to post after much gnashing of teeth :). I have been able to place these two OS's into spaces by opening each of them and then minimizing to the dock. Then I open spaces and the VM and each of them appear in space 1. By dragging each OS to a separate screen, I was able to see the feature I attached. I have to set these up each time I start, but can flick from one to the other when using them. Not sure the way I did it is accepted by the community, but it seemed to work after a fashion.

Comments?

Bob:D

Attached Files:

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Looks good to me. :)

You might want to make the virtual machine windows bigger, though. You know, that whole immersive experience thing. Bear in mind that running two virtual machines at once will be a big resource hog, so if things start to slow down you'll know who to blame.

10. sgtbob thread starter macrumors regular

sgtbob

I haven't had a problem with the resources - yet, but you are right about hogging of same. I do a 'full screen' on each OS when I am wreokign within them.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Bob