Spacesaving video conversion advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by davidlv, Mar 16, 2011.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I am a complete novice when it comes to video. :eek: A friend and I bought the complete 24 Hours DVD series (Series 1 and 2) and my friend ripped the whole series to what I assume is the standard DVD format (e.g. 24_SEASON_1-DISK_1, with both AUDIO_TS and Video_TS subfolders, but the audio subfolders are empty). The whole series takes up 100GB! of space that I do not have on my older MBP (my friend has a Mac Pro with 4 HDs so he is not concerned about the space issue). Can someone advise me as to how to convert these to a more compact yet fairly high quality format? I tried using my copy of WinX HD Video Converter for Mac, but it only allows me to get separate mp4 files (other formats available too) for each segment in the video subfolder, e.g. VTS_01_0.VOB, etc., up to VTS_01_5.VOB and the whole series would be too cumbersome having it split up like that.
    As I have no experience in this field I don't know which software would be best for this, or how to go about it. Any advice appreciated.

2. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816