SpaceX Jason-3 Mission

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SandboxGeneral, Jan 17, 2016.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Did anyone catch the launch of the Jason-3 mission today?

I watched the live webcast this afternoon on their website. Everything went smooth for launch, stage 1 & 2 and deployment. The launch vehicle was to re-land on a droneship barge in the Pacific after initial separation. (The launch site was Andrews Air Force Base in California) That went well too, except for one of the legs failed to properly lockout and when the rocket touched down it fell over. Otherwise SpaceX says it was off target by 1.3 meters! That's pretty darn good I think considering it had to land on a pad in the ocean, which is pitching and moving about, even with GPS and thrusters keeping it in position.

There was a live feed of the droneship barge where the rocket was to land, which was fed via a satellite link, but it crapped out moments before the landing so no one got to see it actually come down.

The Jason-3 satellite will circle the planet on a polar orbit rather than an equatorial orbit like most low earth orbit satellites do. Its mission is to study the height of the ocean surface and the effects of climate change.

I'm excited to see the advancements and new technology that SpaceX brings to the table for space exploration and launch vehicles.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 7.37.02 PM.png

2. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

SpaceX just posted the first stage rocket as it was landing...

SpaceX_2016-Jan-17.jpg

3. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

From what I heard they had rough seas that didn't help with the landing.

5. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, I think I recall someone in the webcast saying that there were 12-14 foot waves out there. However, looking at the video of the landing, it was a non-issue. The problem being a lockout collet failed at touchdown.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While a set back, it is great to see private enterprise funding space research.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

Nice.

I wonder how much it costs to actually refurbish a rocket stage (assuming it lands correctly) so it can be reused safely. The structure must be exposed to enormous stress during liftoff and landing.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They solid rocket boosters were reused on the space shuttle.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

But they are ditching that ability for the SLS. The 5 segment SRB's for the SLS( same SRB as the Shuttle, but with another segment) will be throw aways. Actually cheaper that way.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, Blue Origin just successfully launched the first reused booster rocket. Turn-around time from the previous launch (in November) was just a few weeks, so apparently refurbishing the rocket wasn't too difficult. Nice. :)

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very interesting thread, and thanks for starting it and sharing with us, @SandboxGeneral.

To answer your question, until I spotted this thread, no, I hadn't caught the launch of the SpaceX Jason-3 and I hadn't seen this story at all.

12. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Who would have thought we could reuse rockets, amazing!