Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Did anyone catch the launch of the Jason-3 mission today?

I watched the live webcast this afternoon on their website. Everything went smooth for launch, stage 1 & 2 and deployment. The launch vehicle was to re-land on a droneship barge in the Pacific after initial separation. (The launch site was Andrews Air Force Base in California) That went well too, except for one of the legs failed to properly lockout and when the rocket touched down it fell over. Otherwise SpaceX says it was off target by 1.3 meters! That's pretty darn good I think considering it had to land on a pad in the ocean, which is pitching and moving about, even with GPS and thrusters keeping it in position.

There was a live feed of the droneship barge where the rocket was to land, which was fed via a satellite link, but it crapped out moments before the landing so no one got to see it actually come down.

The Jason-3 satellite will circle the planet on a polar orbit rather than an equatorial orbit like most low earth orbit satellites do. Its mission is to study the height of the ocean surface and the effects of climate change.

I'm excited to see the advancements and new technology that SpaceX brings to the table for space exploration and launch vehicles.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 7.37.02 PM.png

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
From what I heard they had rough seas that didn't help with the landing.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
From what I heard they had rough seas that didn't help with the landing.
Yeah, I think I recall someone in the webcast saying that there were 12-14 foot waves out there. However, looking at the video of the landing, it was a non-issue. The problem being a lockout collet failed at touchdown.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Nice.

I wonder how much it costs to actually refurbish a rocket stage (assuming it lands correctly) so it can be reused safely. The structure must be exposed to enormous stress during liftoff and landing.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nice.

I wonder how much it costs to actually refurbish a rocket stage (assuming it lands correctly) so it can be reused safely. The structure must be exposed to enormous stress during liftoff and landing.
They solid rocket boosters were reused on the space shuttle.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
They solid rocket boosters were reused on the space shuttle.

But they are ditching that ability for the SLS. The 5 segment SRB's for the SLS( same SRB as the Shuttle, but with another segment) will be throw aways. Actually cheaper that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.