Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The only place you need to really be careful is the subway. I was getting onto a train in rome at the spanish steps station, and 3 girls tried to rob me

Hey - the Spanish Steps is where we had our problems with some kids. We fended them off with the gallon jug of wine we had with us on our way back to play quarters in our bathroom! LOL!! (we were 16-18yo kids then!).

To the OP - i'd ask the teacher. I'm hoping he has experience or can contact the coordinator for recommendations on bringing it. I know i'd want mine with me, but i'd also feel like i would have to bring it with me most times.

Have fun though!!!!!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Next month I'll be going to Spain and Italy with my Spanish class. I was thinking about bringing my MacBook along with the purpose of uploading photos, emailing parents, and keeping up with the world. Is this an ok good idea, or would I be best to keep it at home? I will be in Madrid, Barcelona, and Rome. How accessible are internet hotspots? Do many cafes have wifi, or is that an American thing? Other than the travel adaptor set, is there anything else I might need?

Thanks for your input!

I didn't have a laptop at the time, but four years ago you could find an internet cafe every other block in most cities in southern Italy. I'd assume the same for Rome.

I also remember virtually every hotel having WiFi.

We went on a road trip from Holland to Italy, and another one from Holland to the UK, both times I took my laptop and it was definitely the right decision.

nutts

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
I travelled around Asia and New Zealand last year for 6 months and I took my ibook (later replaced by a black macbook after I upgraded in Japan) along with me. I was so glad I did as it meant I could keep up with my communications and banking, and download (and backup) my photos, without having to worry about searching out an internet cafe or entering my login details into possibly-vulnerable PCs.

My best tip is to get a good padlock (4-digit combination for example) for your main bag, and keep the laptop in a sleeve locked in that bag in your hotel room when you don't want to carry it around with you. You'd have to be really unlucky for somebody to either take your whole bag (mine was a 65-litre rucsac) or to bust open the lock. You can even get a small chain to secure it to some hotel furniture or other peoples' bags, which I did at times.

I did this throughout south-east asia (and some of the hostels there are pretty dodgy) and my kit was fine. Also by keeping a backup of my photos and important data on my ipod (5G 60gb), which I *always* kept with me, it meant that if something were to happen to the laptop, my data would be fine and my laptop would be replaced by insurance.

In conclusion then; take it with you, don't be too paranoid (but make sure you backup your photos) and enjoy your travels.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I was at the mall today getting some new ropa for my trip and stopped by RadioShack and got this $9 plug adaptor. Hopefully my other electronics won't need a voltage converter - that was $40. Along with the MacBook (providing the teacher says it's fine), I will have my Sony Cyber-shot t100, Nintendo DS lite, and possibly my Garmin Forerunner 205.

[EDIT]
Well the Sony and Garmin power chargers both list "AC Input: 100-240V," so it looks like both of those will be fine. The DS charger only lists 120V, so I might have to make due with one charge or hope someone else brings a converter because playing the DS isn't worth $40.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Well.
I run a tiny photostore in Belgium and if some american guy would walk into my shop with his MacBook and ask if he can get some internet access I would be delighted to help him for free. My wireless network over there is protected, the one at home is not, I trust my neigbours...

2 years ago we stayed in an italian guesthouse for a couple of nights and the folks over there let me play on the internet with their laptop for a little time to send some emails and check my mail.

All depends on how you act and how willing the people are you will meet.

There are plenty of places where you can have access to the internet. Some of them free, some of them for big bucks.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Well.
I run a tiny photostore in Belgium and if some american guy would walk into my shop with his MacBook and ask if he can get some internet access I would be delighted to help him for free. My wireless network over there is protected, the one at home is not, I trust my neigbours...

Well that's nice. It's my understanding that most of the world isn't to fond of us Americans anymore :confused: ;) . I've been told to act Canadian if possible :D .

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
take it, just be careful with it always keep it safe with you, if you are going to leave some where make sure you can keep it hidden or lock it away. With that in mind it will be worth what you need it for, specially contacting home alot cheaper. anyway good luck

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Don't make the fact that you have it be a sticking point, but other than that you should be fine. In terms of losing it, as long as you've backed everything up and have travel insurance, it won't be a major concern. Use common sense, but don't let utter paranoia ruin the trip either!

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Well, it doesn't look like I will be bringing it along. I just got a reply from my teacher telling me not to take it. Oh well, I guess life will go on :( .

As much as this may be a convenience for you, it is not a good idea. You will have many opportunities to e-mail home. We have never had students bring computers. There are many things to consider when traveling light and with 32 others. In fact, part of my upcoming e-mail includes a sentence about leaving electronics home. IPods or CD players, however, are a must! You should have a camera as well.The concern we have about personal items, especially electronics, is that each year students have either lost or fried (Due to the current difference) them. Just give it a big "beso" and tell it you will return in 12 days. :)

andylow

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2007
My trip to Spain

When I travelled to Spain, I just brought camera and some food, very convient. Go to the barcelona which owns beautiful beaches, historical places and pleasant weather. It is so wonderful that I want to buy property in barcelona. I took a lot of photoes and it has become a unforgettable memory.

qdqd

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
travel for honeymoon

The scene is beautiful and the traffic is very convenient in Costa del sol. There are numbers of trains arriving at any town from Madrid. The tourists can arrive at here by sea. The Malaga port is the most important tour port. There are scheduled flights flying to the main cities at home and abroad in Malaga airport. The main tour cities are san sebastian spain, mallorca, Granada, Malaga and so on.

portuglish08

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Take it!

I've never been to Spain or anywhere in Europe for that matter, but I have been in quite a few places in South America. I lived there for a year when I was in High school (2006) and whenever I went on a trip, I took my laptop. I don't think you will have that big of a problem taking it, if you use it a lot at home, take it with you. If I was fine leaving my laptops in the cheap hotels in Rio De Janeiro, Lima, Cuzco, Sao Paulo, and many other places, I'm sure you will be fine taking yours to Europe.
You have a better chance of having your wallet stolen from you than your laptop stolen out of your room. It rarely happens. Have a good trip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.