Spain SIM card for 5 day trip

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kolax, May 5, 2013.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'm going to Barcelona with a few friends for 5 days, and I'm looking at getting a local SIM card for data and ability to text each other.

Orange has the 'Delfin 2' deal, which sounds the sort of thing I want:

For €2: 100Mb per week, along with 1 cent per text and 1 cent per minute (plus inital 15 cent call charge).

However, Orange detail the data in megabits, so that's really only 12.5MB's. And I'm not sure if I can just pay €2 and use it for the 5 day trip and then let it expire without repercussions.

Any Spanish locals want to chime in with alternatives?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Hi.

Actually, I found it odd, since in Spain, they count it in MB, so I went into the spanish-language Orange website, and it's actually 100MB, so you're good to go.

http://movil.orange.es/tarifas/?pst...m_medium=home&utm_term=cabecera+submenu+movil

Apparently, Orange offers its Delfin deal in both contract (contrato) and prepay (tarjeta). Just walk into a phone shop, and ask for advice. For five days, no need to shop around, your savings would be negligible.
    Pay attention, however, to the small print: apparently, it's really 2€/week, but with an autorenewal, so make sure you cancel it immediately afterwards.

Enjoy the city.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

That's good to know it's 100MB not Mb! That'll be plenty for 5 days.

As for cancelling, I can't see any fees for doing that, and since it's not a contract, I assume that once I've paid the €2, I can cancel and that'll be that? Do you know if I can pay in cash rather than by card to avoid having to cancel the auto renewal?

I'll be able to ask all this at the time, but I'd rather know as much as possible before, because I don't speak a word of Spanish and I'd rather not expect the guys in the phone shop to help me in English!

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I have no idea about that, sorry! Odds are at least one people at the store will speak *some* English...