spain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omar4578, Apr 4, 2011.

1. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

ok so im going to spain in july, and i was wondering whether or not to take my new mac in the first place lol

well anyways,

i read that the voltage is different in spain plus the plugs are different as well, would this harm the computer? or does the ac plug that apple supplies convert the voltage so it doesnt harm the laptop?

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

While the voltage is different, all you'll need for your Mac is a plug adapter since the power brick provided by Apple has a built-in power converter.

Making sure your machine isn't stolen though is something else...

3. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

true, to the stolen part. is there an alternative to apple care as to find where the computer would be at if stolen? like a gps?

4. Drakeer, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Drakeer macrumors newbie

To OP: You just need the spanish adapter to go.

I just registered myself in this forum after a long time, because I'm from Spain and I don't know where do you think about this country, but you speak like if this guy would be going to thiefs Hell or something.

This is an european country, we are one of the best tourist destination here, and you should learn something about us before speak about it. You are going to be absolutely safe man.

Sorry about the offtopic fellas. :p

5. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

well sorry for the misunderstanding, but i bet if you would come to america you would be worried if someone would steal your newly bought 2k dollar machine. there are bad people out there and then people as careless as myself, anything could happen.

btw i think spain is amazing and that is why im going to the fiestas de san fermin to run with the bulls (any advice since you live there?)

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think there may be some software you can get that will give you pictures from the webcam, but I wouldn't worry about it Spain is safe. Just use common sense and you will be fine. Also just buy a European adapter for the plug and you will be fine. Enjoy your trip Spain is an awesome country.

7. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

thanks a lot dude! and what do the adapters look like? is it the standard european one? or does spain use a different one?

8. Drakeer macrumors newbie

If you are going to San Fermin, just read some advices from the next links.

http://gospain.about.com/od/spanishfestivals/a/pamplonabullrun.htm
    http://www.sanfermin.com/index.php/en/prensa/diez-consejos
    http://www.sanfermin.com/index.php/en/la-fiesta/txupinazo/txupinazo-sanfermin

Everybody gets drunk in that fiesta :rolleyes: Dont drink anything if you are planned to run with the bulls! :cool:

And this is the kind of AC plug we use here: [​IMG]

9. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Pickpocketing is very prevalent in Spain, as well as a cut+run: You're on a crowded train, a thief will cut open your backpack / bag with a knife/box opener, grab whatever they can, then jump out the doors just as they're closing and the train is pulling away from the station.

I've never seen it anywhere else*, and it happened twice to me or my friends when I lived in Spain.

*of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere, just that I haven't seen it :)

10. Drakeer macrumors newbie

Never seen something like that, but that could happen. Where city was that? Reading that kind of things make me sad because I'm under the impression that foreign people is afraid of coming to Spain because of thiefs! :(

Anyway, just use your common sense and you will be fine. :p

11. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

It was in Barcelona, near Las Ramblas.

Hope people aren't discouraged by that -- it's a big city, and you have bad elements in every big city. Like you said -- use common sense and a little bit of research and you'll be fine. For the cut+run, it mainly preys on people that just aren't paying attention to their belongings. So either use a messenger bag that you can swing around to the front, wear your backpack backwards, or hold it in your hand. Problem solved! =)

Spain was / is one of my absolute favorite places in Europe -- I lived in Valencia, and have been back there many times since leaving. My band played in Madrid and Barcelona last year and we had an absolute blast!

12. akicebear macrumors newbie

Las Ramblas is among the shadier tourist locales of Spain, or perhaps wider Europe, especially at night. I think anyone wandering with a MBP visibly on them in a easy to grab fashion would be 'asking for it' on that particular stretch. In general Barcelona, Madrid and Valencia have a very safe feel to them, more so than many American cities (I say this as an American living in Madrid and having spent significant time in Barcelona and Valencia - no comment on other places I've visited only briefly).

As when traveling to any big city, one must be aware and cautious with their belongings and personal safety - not a Spanish specific warning.

13. chant macrumors newbie

Yes: don't bring your laptop to Sanfermines, unless you're staying in a safe place like an apartment. And on a more general note, I would advice you to enjoy the party and not to run in front of the bulls, but if you do, get a good sleep the night before. The run is at 8.00 am, and the police look for drunk foreigners, so (luckily for everyone) you won't be allowed to run if you're in bad conditions.

BTW I'm from Pamplona :)

14. jondob, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

jondob macrumors member

you're going to spain man, why do you need to bring a laptop... Take a break enjoy the beautiful place you're going to.