Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It's been happening for a few days. They get cleared up eventually but it seems most/all the moderators aren't in a European timezone.

If they simply created a rule that deleted posts from newbies with subjects like "support customer/phone" they'd all vanish.

Reactions: velocityg4 and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I've noticed an increase in spammer who are using some combinations of 8Õ8, 8Õ5, and AÓL Perhaps some focus on blocking threads starting with numbers with 8Õ

I understand its a game of cat and mouse but its been a rather large influx of spammers the past few days.

I noticed that too.

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 26, 2017
Yeah, I was a mod at another Apple related site but I don’t remember seeing the ability to create a rule for account creation with specific guidelines.

However, if possible, a rule containing “8Õ” should do it.

Oh well, all we can do is what we can do.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I was a mod at another Apple related site but I don’t remember seeing the ability to create a rule for account creation with specific guidelines.
The admins can set rules of what post/threads end up in the moderation queue so the members don't see the threads. the thread creator will be notified their thread is awaiting approval. They may get the message to stop and that helps as well.

Edit: Let me also add the moderation staff may be a bit thin at this time of the day, i.e., there may be holes in their coverage. I was typically there between 5:00am until 7:00am and a lot spammers were trying to get through but I'd zap them.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Looks like some serious spammers hit the boards overnight.

We're on it. This started last Tuesday and then tapered off a bit, but seems to be back with a vengance again. We have been discussing ways to improve the spam filter in response, but no solution yet.

You can report them if you like, but they are pretty obvious and not too likely to be missed by the mods and admins. One might argue that submitting reports just creates more work for the staff, since the reports must be addressed in addition to the spam.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One might argue that submitting reports just creates more work for the staff, since the reports must be addressed in addition to the spam.
I would respectfully disagree simply because once you zap them with the spam button that should resolve the reports and I think its better to have a more engaged membership where more people report posts, not less.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I would respectfully disagree simply because once you zap them with the spam button that should resolve the reports and I think its better to have a more engaged membership where more people report posts, not less.
I’m also noticing a lot of spam bots.

I’ve been reporting the profile because it seems like the bot will make three posts and then I guess it’s disposable. I figured the profile links to all of the posts but maybe I’m doing that wrong and I should report the actual posts?

I don’t get these spam posts. It looks like a wall of text with some phone number. Maybe they are trying to get some unsuspecting person to call it?

Reactions: maflynn

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I don’t get these spam posts. It looks like a wall of text with some phone number

I don't think the spammers-criminals expect many people who see the entire text on a message board to call the number. They're hoping to get picked up by web crawlers and search engines; hence the wall of text chock full o' keywords, strange formatting to get around filters, and repeated use of "help", "customer service", "contact us", and other terms that somebody panicking about their mobile phone, ISP, or computer will be searching.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Let me also add the moderation staff may be a bit thin at this time of the day, i.e., there may be holes in their coverage.
There's always holes in moderation because there aren't enough mods to cover the work. That's why you overly depend on reports.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's always holes in moderation because there aren't enough mods to cover the work. That's why you overly depend on reports.
You always seem to passively aggressively attack the staff of MacRumors - odd. You bring up two points and here's my opinion on both.

1. Yes, the moderation team could take advantage of an increase in staff numbers. With that said, @HexMonkey can chime in, but I believe report turn around times, i.e., the time a report is submitted till its closure is not long at all. I'm sure it can be improved upon but I'm part of other forums where a report is not handled for days. Most reports are handled in a couple of hours at most, if not minutes. I don't have statistics to back it up, its my opinion, but as I mentioned @HexMonkey can provide details.

2. You said that I overly depend on reports - I do not, simply put because I am not a moderator. The use of reports mirrors real life, The police overly depend on reports (to use your own words) simply because there is not enough police to stand on every corner of every street 24 hours, 365 days.

If you don't want to report a potential violation, that's your business but attacking the moderation staff for relying on reports seems a little disingenuous to the topic, i.e., spammers. It seems you wanted to take the opportunity to again passively aggressively pounce on the staff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.