Spam Being Sent from My E-mail Address! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheGarreth, Jun 19, 2012.

1. TheGarreth macrumors member

I'm getting spam sent out from my e-mail address. I've changed passwords, security questions, browser sign-in security, ensured that no other e-mail addresses have been added for said notifications (password change, etc.) and have cleared my computer of any potential viruses (I dl'd BitDefender from the App Store and it said I had a trojan virus on my laptop; it has since been deleted). And the e-mails are still coming. Any suggestions/ideas? I'm at a total loss here.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your email address could be spoofed into the messages to make it appear to be coming from your account. Not hard to do.

3. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - that's not something I'm to familiar/knowledgable with but it did occur to me; especially since the cc/distribution lists on the e-mails aren't going out to anyone on my contact lists/address book. Any suggestions on how to stop this - if possible?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Contact your email service provider, ie Yahoo/Google/Microsoft/Comcast/Verizon and see what they can do to help stop it.

5. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Just a follow-up on the spoofing suggestion - in my Mac Mail, it shows the e-mails as both being sent and being received by 4 other e-mail address other than my own and rather than show my e-mail, it shows my name (as my Mac is recognizing that e-mail address as mine)....but I logged into Yahoo mail through my browser and it only shows the e-mail as being from one person and being sent to myself and 4 other addresses. Would this suggest that it is in fact some sort of spoof???

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The suspect email shows up in your sent box? This doesn't sound like a spoofed email.