SPAM calls on my cell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

:mad:

I've been getting them more frequently, can I do anything about them? I try to keep my number discrete and only give it out to sources I trust, but I guess that hasn't worked. atleast once every few days I get one. Sucks when it's like 7 in the morning and I'm sleeping.

I also get a lot of calls on my home phone, that are either "courtesy calls" that I don't bother with, and calls that don't have anyone on the other line. Pisses me off.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

https://www.donotcall.gov

Below is from: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.shtm

Here’s what you need to know about the National Do Not Call Registry program:

* FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

* The federal government does not maintain a national cell phone registry. Personal cell phone users have always been able to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same Registry consumers use to register their land lines — either online at www.donotcall.gov or by calling toll-free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone number they wish to register. Registrations become effective within 31 days of signing up and are active for five years. There is no cut-off date or deadline for registrations.

* Business-to-business calls are not covered under the Registry.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was stuck on the bus once and overheard a very vocal, very Salford chap on the phone to someone. He worked on the phones for an insurance company and was going on about a list that you can be put on in the UK, where your phone is supposedly blocked from recieving spam calls. But if one gets through and you say you're on this list that they have to hang up the phone right away.

Was a few years ago and I never get spam calls so I never looked into it. The US must have their own version of this.

Edit: ^ guess you do have one!

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Telemarketing on cell phone numbers is already illegal, so the DNC list is of no consequence. In fact the DNC list is rapidly becoming of little value since some of the worst telemarketers completely ignore it. They also use war dialers, and other illegal methods.

You don't say who made the call, but the current run of illegal telemarking scammers purport to be some sort of credit agency. I get several of these a week on our two land-lines (fortunately none yet on our cells). Before that, it was carpet cleaning. I suspect it's the same outfit.

We're probably going to be suffering through more and more of this until the laws and the enforcement become stronger.

5. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

This happened to me once. This guy kept calling me so finally I just pulled this:

Caller: Hello is a mister G... Hall there?

Me: I don't know anybody by that name. I think you have the wrong number.

Caller: Ok, thanks.

Suffice to say, I never got a call from him again. :rolleyes:

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If they are persistently calling you on your cell tell them that this is a corporate cell phone and you need to reimburse your company for minutes used for non business calls and ask them for an address to mail the bill to.

They shouldn't call again.

Although if they do, you can tell them that your company's legal department is looking into seeking reimbursement for the extra minutes charged to your phone for the incoming calls.

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

I've been getting at least a couple a week. All from the same place (I assume). They're all "hello. this is a second reminder to extend your vehicle warranty..." The funny thing is that my car is 10 years old, and way beyond any sort of warranty.

I had totally forgotten about the do not call list - off to register the cell.

9. rican macrumors 6502

rican

LMAO! thats funny.. I usually am like :

Me - Hello ?

Them - Hi i'm so and so from so and so and i want to sell you this great deal is.. so & so home?

Me- Pfft, yeah hold on..

(CLICK)

:D end of my problems :]

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I hang up about 70% the time now, about 25% of the time I ask to be removed from the list. The remaining 5% I let them attempt to pronounce my name and tell them "no one by that name lives here" since it's usually mangled enough for it to be not that far from the truth. The one amazing benefit of a nearly unpronounceable last name.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Wait till you start getting them in spanish....

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It doesn't. As I said above, it is already expressly illegal for telemarketers to call your cell phone. The telemarketers who are already calling cell phones illegally are certainly not going to be deterred by the DNC list.

15. operator207 macrumors 6502

I get these constantly on my new Work Cell #. I have "hung on the line" many times, and gotten a real person, told them this is my Work cell #, and it is new, and to be taken off the list. One of them asked if I still needed an extended warranty for my vehicle even though I told them this was a corp number.