Spam emails on iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mumph, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mumph macrumors regular

I find the lack of spam/junk mail filtering in iOS a huge flaw in the system. I have rules set up on my Mac that say 'If subject contains this, then delete email' etc. While working at home I get no spam whatsoever. My server side filters are very strict and then Mail in OSX mops up any others that get through. It works great.

On the iPhone however, even with the same email account, its a different story. When I'm out and about and obviously away from my Mac, my Mac is switched off. This obviously means that the extra level of spam protection is also off. As a result when out and about I start getting spam on my iPhone. Why is there no way to implement the same email filtering rules in OSX on iOS? It seems like an obvious thing to do. I know Apple rarely do the obvious but its a flaw that makes using the iPhone a bit of a pain in the ass. Why if we can sync, emails, settings preferences etc cant we sync a few simple rules?

I dont want to run my Mac while I'm away just for spam protection on my iPhone.

What are your thoughts?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Best practice IMO is to filter before it gets to the client. It doesn't make sense to me to filter at each client. Who's your mail provider and what do they offer?

3. moonman239 macrumors 68000

OP, I use Gmail. I switched to Gmail because the Hotmail experience was utterly annoying. Gmail seemed to have a better spam filter, and I must say it's still pretty good at catching spam.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I use icloud email, which like any email provider, offers junk/spam filters. Blame your email client, not the device, as its them that provide those filtering options.

5. mumph thread starter macrumors regular

I have my own domain via Fasthosts. They offer very good server side protection but my problem is I keep getting spam with the same content (as though I've signed up to something) but the addresses are always from someone new - they are always female name too. The subject header is 'DailyNews' and you guessed it I get daily spam from them, usually more than one.

If I could set a rule to block 'dailynews' on my iphone the problem would be solved. I cant block content via my provider, I can only create a blacklist of addresses but if they keep coming from new addresses I cant stop it. An option to block the content on iOS would stop it dead.

If I leave my mac running at home when the email pushes to all my devices the rules set on my Mac will take effect across the board which is great (IMAP) but I dont leave my mac on when Im out as I'm not made of money so that layer of client side protection is missing. If iOS had the option to sync the rules on my Mac, problem solved.

I used iCloud email for a while and the spam protection on that (without having to do a thing) is excellent. However I need my own domain and would like iOS client side rules to help stop the spam. :(

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

have you tried to unsubscribe from these emails? anytime i clicked unsubscribe, which i think by law has to be on all spam emails, ive never got another one from them.