Spam filter

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Consultant, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MR might want to use an automated spam filter for posts with more than x number of links, where x can be much higher for newbies.

Surprised to see such blatant spam...

Attached Files:

2. Jessica Lares, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I get what you mean. Maybe a 10 link block for newbies only? Some of us here do link to lists of apps, etc here, so it would probably work better that way.

3. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Often that's not for you to click on the links but rather for SEO pushing. Whether there are links or just text does not make a huge difference.

But true, it would help a little for a while (~2 weeks maybe) till they update their software.

i.e. XRumer is a software that automatically creates IDs and posts on forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL2i4SNPJmg

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

No, but most spammers create posts with large amounts of links. Posts from "newbies" with more than about 3 links are most likely spam. To be safe, you'd still want it to go into moderation, rather than delete completely.

5. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Either way it's SPAM. No need for moderation, simply don't allow more then one link - or better - don't allow ANY link. People can write macrumors dot com.

This is very easy to circumvent for PEOPLE. But a since most of those SPAM posts are automatically posted by software bots, such as Xrumer, I doubt they will bother after posting a batch of 100,000.

PS: I don't feel the problem is out of control here. I rarely see SPAM here. Other forums are not so lucky, or not so well managed.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. RatHat macrumors member

Didn't know that. Thanks, will do in the future.