Spam, from myself, sent from myself...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by KSpider, Aug 30, 2008.

1. KSpider macrumors regular

I have google apps for our company and i have been getting random spam mail from my address. FROM my address. It is also in my sent box so it is definitely from my address. What the hell???

someone suggested to me last week to change my password, i did so, and 5-6 days later i am getting more spam from myself that also shows in my sent box.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

change it to a better longer password. This happens sometimes where your password gets phished from you and it sends emails to everyone in your addressbook, including yourself.

EDIT: make sure when you sign in your are 100% certain that the site you are on is the site you think it is. Check the address bar constantly.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, a very creepy experience. It happened to me once last year, (when I was with Windows); the college where I work seems to be frequently assailed, as are all educational establishments, and I use a college email, as do most staff and students; sometimes, I used to receive spam from colleagues, whose addresses had clearly been borrowed illicitly. Equally unsettling, (almost like a message from a grave) I have also received spam from colleagues who have moved on - i.e. left, and are working elsewhere,- not dead, but it is still strange seeing these (what I know to be hijacked) addresses on emails sent to me.

When I was in the world of Windows, I set my security filters to maximum, which dealt with most of it. The problem is much reduced, but not entirely eliminated, since I switched.

Cheers and good luck

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

My customers are always ringing me for this, change your password to your account, make sure you have spam and virus filtering activated on your account by your ISP and get the email message headers and forward them to the ISP. They may be able to track the sender and deny him

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Relax. E-mail headers and the e-mail "from" address can be faked very easily. They don't need access to your e-mail account to make it look like it came from you. Any idiot can download software to do this sort of thing, for example. But there's plenty of other ways to do it...