Spam Links on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aery, Nov 7, 2015.

1. aery, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

aery macrumors member

aery

Well, I'm usually pretty smart about this stuff but I foolishly clicked on what ended up being a spam link in a convincing email from my sister in law's email address. :(

It was basically a fake Shape.com site that looked to be trying to sell some diet pills. I'm running El Capitan and was using Safari. I also have the uBlock extension installed.

Am I at risk in any way? I didn't enter any information on the page or download anything. I cleared my history and cookies but is there any way for me to check for anything else, like something running in the background that I may not be aware of?

Maybe I'm being too paranoid but I'll do a reinstall if I have to. I feel so dumb right now, haha.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Honestly you needn't worry at all, no damage done. :)

3. aery thread starter macrumors member

aery

Thank you :)

So there's no way that something could have been installed on my computer or any of my information taken in any way?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah that's right. OS X will always need a system password entered to install anything. Also El Capitan has some great security features, the system files are so locked down that you can't even install an antivirus application on it if you tried.

5. aery thread starter macrumors member

aery

Whew, that's great to hear! Thanks for easing my anxiety! :p