spam message

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flashy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Flashy macrumors newbie

Hi all, apparently my hotmail account sent a spam message to someone. if that same message went to someone else whose account has not been active for months would I not have had an error message back? would really like to know if I did have a virus of some sort.. this happened just few days after I lost my iMac. the motherboard died.. could that have been caused by the virus? or was my computer just simply too old (5 yrs)?
    any clue appreciated. thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect that this is a bogus message, caused by the spammer forging the Reply-To and/or From fields of the email so it appeared to be coming from you. This does NOT mean your computer is infected - it just means that you're probably going to be getting more of these in the future, since the spammers have that email in their mailing lists.

3. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks worldwizard but I still don't understand. The "supposed" spam message was also sent to someone else. I tested the other address and i got an undeliverable notice message back. Now, would I have received that same message at the time of the spamming? I mean was the spam message really sent from my hotmail account or could it have been sent from another account "pretending" to be mine?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You have 2 questions, so I'll give 2 answers:
    1. No.
    2. It was almost certainly someone pretending to be you. The way to be sure is to check your sent folder. Forged messages appearing to originate from you will NOT be in there, but messages genuinely sent by you will be.

5. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much wrldwzrd. I checked my sent folder and it looks like it was a forged message.