Spam on forums

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by macingman, Jun 14, 2012.

1. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I've noticed of late spam on the forums. Especially the iPhone forums has increased greatly.

Most of the spam seems to do with the same thing (TV shows/sporting events streaming). So it appears to me it's the same person/s posting, unless suddenly every spammer is into the streaming business.

I say Macrumors should take a stricter stance against the spammers. Instead of just deleting posts/blocking againsts I suggest the very moment someone is caught spams the forums, their IP address/es should be blocked from ever visiting Macrumors again. I know this may be difficult and would require a bit more work by the moderators.

Thoughts? I'm just sick of this spam, it's not THAT invasive but it does clog up the forums abit.

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Most spammers create a new account to post their messages. Perhaps it would be better to block posts to the forum for a few hours after an account has been created.

3. OllyW, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The only problem is most genuine members sign up to ask a question or comment on a thread. If they are blocked from posting when they first sign up there's a good chance they will go somewhere else and never return.

We do take it seriously and try our best to keep the forums free from spam. Please report it and we'll deal with it as soon as someone is available.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The best way to deal with spam here is to report it. I always do and it is usually removed within a reasonable time frame.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Then they will come back and spam us after the "few hours.."

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I always report spam, its usually removed almost immediately.