Spamming Dad

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Freis968, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I usually wake up in the morning with 15 emails...ALL crap that my dad sends to me. Almost 99% of it is forwarded crap that other people send to him.

I have sent him an email asking him nicely to stop sending those kinds of emails to me to no avail. I bounce his emails back and still they keep coming. I am not the kind of person that likes to have multiple email addresses especially for this kind of reason...I only need one and I should not have to get one just for my father to send his crap to.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or is there any kind of filter in Mail that I can assign to HIS email address that will automatically bounce his emails back to him without me having to see them?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just get another email account and have that be your useful one and let your dad keep sending to your old

works with me as my family sends me all sorts of stupid emails i dont care for

3. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I know I can do that and eventually I may be forced to. It is just one of those principle issues. If you ask someone nicely to quit doing something, shouldn't they?

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I suppose that's between pops and yourself, no? :confused:

Multiple emails is the way to go... ;)

5. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Are they the "forward this to 15 people or else..."/"forward this to 15 people and..." kind of emails? If the reason he's forwarding them is because he's believing the emails, try explaining to him that they aren't.

6. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Yes, they are all kinds. "Forward this or else"..."YOU GOTTA READ THIS!"..."DON'T Delete or else"....

I actually told him that I would much rather he send me an email whereby he asks how I am doing or something a bit more personal than sending all this crap to me.

PS Perhaps I can send him a link to this thread? Maybe he will get the point?

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I get the same from my dad and choose to think about it differently. We never got along growing up and he's not up to date with tech (was using aol dialup till last year). Sure I get sometimes 10 emails of things he's forwarded and it's mostly cute pics of animals and pretty scenery or jokes. But coming from a guy who never said I love you and that he took the time to include me on his random forward somehow means something.

I've never received an actual personal email from him so I take the route where it's easier for me to take the time to delete if it's something I don't want to drill down into rather than scold him or try to school him on net etiquette. I just appreciate the gesture no matter how small it is--I know that it's something to him.

I actually find it kind of special.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I used to have this same issue with my mom. My brother and I both kept on her about not sending us forwards/chain mail. It slowed to a trickle where it would be "I know it's a forward but you HAVE to see this" and eventually stopped.

Just be persistent. If you can't get him to stop that way ask him to remove your email address from his book. If he needs to get in touch he can call.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My grandfather sends out a lot of stuff like that. I do not say anything but instead just deleted it. Now that being said I have noticed that my junk mail filter does a pretty good job at grabbing it.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have three friends/relatives who do that. I politely asked two of them not to send me anything they got from someone else and they complied. The third sends email only occasionally and he finds really odd and interesting news, so I don't mind getting what he forwards.

One acquaintance forwards my wife warnings every time she gets scared by a fake warning. My wife patiently give her the facts (often from snopes.com) and she says "oh, thanks". Some people don't learn not to fall for these things. So accepting her mail is worthwhile because we can help her understand.

Freis968: Keep telling your dad that you don't want these messages. It's better than auto-deleting all of his mail in case he ever sends you something personal and worthwhile. If he won't stop, use a rule to direct mail from him to a separate inbox, which you can ignore, read, or batch-delete if and when you want.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Doctor Q's last paragraph is a great advice. But also, how about just getting together with your dad and having a good one-on-one? The email you sent did not work. Maybe if you tried to get together with your dad and try to explain the situation to him in person may work better. Give it a try. You have exactly nothing to lose, and potentially plenty to gain.

Good luck!

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I also have somebody who sends me these constantly. It's the only junk mail I get, and it's from somebody I know... Irony :rolleyes: I tend to just ignore them. They just get bored at work.

13. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Thanks everyone for your advice, suggestions.

I have a .rr.com address that I don't use, so I went ahead and told him that was my new email address. Once a month I will go in and just scan over everything and see if there was anything personal, which I HIGHLY doubt.

14. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

It's a very small way for parents to retain the feeling that their connected to their children in this technological age - - I agree with the posters who suggested a separate email account, so that you can offer your folks this one small indulgence.

15. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Hmm - Why did reading this choke me up a little bit.... For whatever reason this kind of made my day better. Thx

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

another option is create message rules for all his emails. I used Outlook to handle my emails but the trick is the same.

Have a folder set up called dad.
    All emails from him are automatically thrown into that folder. That way it does not clutter your inbox and removes the need of a 2nd email address because doing the 2nd email address runs the risk of getting back to him.

Now I made message rules for my family to pull out their emails from any junk mail so I could find it quicker but you get the point.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I guess I don't see the big deal. Takes maybe 20 seconds to delete 10 emails. You will see forward on the title and just check mark them and hit delete.

Of all the problems in the world this does not warrant a "sit down" with your dad.

Get over it and take the extra seconds to delete what you don't want to read. Like a poster above said at least he is connecting with you.