Spamming from gmail account - help! (i use a mac)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stag, Jan 23, 2008.

1. stag macrumors newbie

Hello-

I have sent this to google but thought i would try and get someones opinion here...

I use gmail and just recieved an email from some random person purporting that they are getting spam mail from me. They even went as far as detailing the rubbish sent with an exe (im at work so was able to view it). First thing, I havent sent any mail whatsoever to this person and any other which is spam. Second, my sent mail does not show anything which suggests activity.

Can someone tell me what on earth is going on here? Is my computer been hijacked (i use a mac at home and PC at work), or are spammers using my mail address without sending it from my actual mail address? Arahhhh

And while im at it, i have the mac firewall enabled but are there any other security precautions I should take either free or paid for software?

Please help!

2. Elo Everidge macrumors newbie

Probably the latter is the case. It happens to many people and I'm afraid there's not very much you can do about it.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your e-mail addressed is probably just being spoofed by someone else.

You're contact details are probably in the address book of someone else's computer that has been compromised by a "virus".

Don't worry too much about it, there's nothing you or Google can do to stop it.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

First, never ever open an e-mail attachment that is an executable file (.exe) unless:

1. It is from someone you know.

2. You are expecting the file from them via prior communication. In other words, not the message that has the .exe file attached.

Second, it is very easy to clone/fake/spoof a sent e-mail address. Too easy actually. I can be whoever I want to be from some of my accounts. Also, if you are running Windows using Outlook, there are certain virus that can mine your contact e-mail addresses.

Third, if you opened an executable file on your PC, then one of the following could be true:

1. Your computer is now a bot (meaning owned), which can be controlled by someone else to order it to send out SPAM or participate in DOS attacks.

2. Infected with a virus, Trojan or worm.

Suggest that you have your system checked ASAP.

And never ever again open up an .exe file that you received as an e-mail attachment.

5. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

All good comments above. Although your gmail account probably has not been hacked you need to change the password immediately. Your company probably has a decent mal-ware program for your work machine, run it just to make sure. Most likely, there is nothing wrong with your account, you can type anyone's email into the "reply to" field. If you look at the actual header information, you can see the smtp account that it really came from.