Spanish Apple Merchandise! But what does it mean!?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by OwlsAndApples, Apr 17, 2007.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I found this badge in a random market, and have been searching it down. It's exactly the same as this one on this website:

[​IMG]

http://cuatrodoce.com/?p=399

Auppa Joputa?

I know it's unofficial but anyone know what it means? The people on the forum think it's 'a liberal translation of Apple Computers'. Hmm...the oracle that is BabelFish cannot help me out :rolleyes:

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Judging by some of the comments, it might be in Euskara aka Basque.

It's certainly not Castellano, unless it's a clever play on words/slang.

Update...not Euskara either.

Update...looks like "joputa" could be short for "hijoputa", meaning of which I'll let you figure out.:eek:

3. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Wow! Do you know of a Basque translator, or are you a master of Spanish dialects? :)

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Basque would be a good guess. Google links you to a Windows MSN page with the imaged icon. Whatever, it ain't Spanish

5. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Yeah, I just bought it in Spain though, not in Bilbao or other Basque regions but Madrid.

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I can confirm it is definately not any form of common spanish... somekind of romanian or something like that maybe?

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I've got a working solution:

Auppa - may be a regionalization, misspelling or slang of ¡Aúpa!, which is kinda like ¡Levántate!..."Get up..."

"Joputa" is a shortening of "hijoputa"..."hijo" is son, "puta" is a woman of loose sexual morality.

So it's "Get up you son of a b..." :eek: :D

8. eduo macrumors member

Guys... This is perfectly understandable spanish, if you live in Spain and speak spanish.

TheAnswer nailed it. A loose contextual translation would be "Go! You bastard!".

"Auppa" is a bastardization of "Aúpa", used like "You go!" or just "Go!" (in this context).

"Joputa" is a shortening of "Hijo de Puta" (in costa rica it's pronounced as "Juepú" or "Jueputa") and although it means "Son of a bitch" or "Son of a Whore" it's commonly used in a friendly way (although only with people you know and trust).

It's a play on words, as they look funny (it's written spanish in the same sense that "Gonna" or "Watcha" or "Sonuva" is written english, when said aloud it makes more sense than seeing it written).

And it's not Apple Merchandise, people. It's a joke. :) You could say it's a motivational badge with an uncommon approach.

Luis: It's spanish, alright. I'm sure that even if the "Aúpa" part is not common in Costa Rica (as it's a Spanish exclamation) the "Joputa" one probably rang a bell. :)

9. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Haha! I love it! :D It now claims a prime place on my guitar strap :p