Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I received this PM on my site. Can someone translate this to english to me? Here's the whole conversation. I just want to know what he's saying. Babelfish helped me a bit. Nady32 is him.

(First message is on the bottom)

Re: ayuda
Sent at: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 am
by Naby32

but thanks Okoka unlock my 2g ipod also can not busco aser in English which aser buedo not install the installer nor the sidya or where I can download please help me my ipod is 2.

Sent at: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:06 am
by ElectricMan5

Apesadumbrado. No hablo español. Estoy utilizando un traductor. No sé dónde usted encontraría un jailbreak preceptoral en español. :- (

ayuda
Sent at: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:49 am
by Naby32

Tengo un ipod touch generación 2 i no he podido bajar el installer en donde lo puedo bajar

Thanks!

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I received this PM on my site. Can someone translate this to english to me? Here's the whole conversation. I just want to know what he's saying. Babelfish helped me a bit. Nady32 is him.

(First message is on the bottom)

Sent at: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 am
by Naby32

but thanks Okoka unlock my 2g ipod also can not busco aser in English which aser buedo not install the installer nor the sidya or where I can download please help me my ipod is 2.

by ElectricMan5

Apesadumbrado. No hablo español. Estoy utilizando un traductor. No sé dónde usted encontraría un jailbreak preceptoral en español. :- (

ayuda
Sent at: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:49 am
by Naby32

Tengo un ipod touch generación 2 i no he podido bajar el installer en donde lo puedo bajar

Thanks!

Tell the person: Usted no puede instalar un jailbreak en un iPod Touch generación 2 sin el iPod estando empatado a su ordenador.

P.S. I didn't use a translator and that guy is using bad spanish.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Tell the person: Usted no puede instalar un jailbreak en un iPod Touch generación 2 sin el iPod estando empatado a su ordenador.

P.S. I didn't use a translator and that guy is using bad spanish.

Eh... what does it say? And what is he asking? thanks :)

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Eh... what does it say? And what is he asking? thanks :)

It says: You can not install a jailbreak on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch without the iPod being tied to your computer.

I put it in the formal form for you instead of the informal tú form. If you wish to elaborate more you should say
Usted no puede instalar un jailbreak en un iPod Touch generación 2 sin el iPod estando conectado a su ordenador. Si querría instalar un jailbreak necesitará que conectar su iPod al ordenador cuando usted usa su iPod.
Which is:
You can not install a jailbreak on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch without the iPod being connected to your computer. If you want to install a jailbreak you will need to connect your iPod to your computer when you use it

He/She said Literally: I have an ipod touch 2 generation and I could not download the installer where you can download.

He didn't use Question Marks or any punctuation so it's a bit confusing. Also, this guy is most likely from Spain which is why I used the word ordenador instead of the latin american form.

goobedoutonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
I'm not sure whether qacjared is a native speaker of Spanish or not, but he has got an excellent grasp of what the original message means. My apologies for the next speech, but I love analyzing language!

Now, having a closer look at it, it would be plainly clear for any native speaker that the message is badly written and the person has a poor command of his/her own language. Plus, as far as I can comprehend, the final words are indeed intended to be a question [in this case a plea, hehe] and should be wrapped in question marks, thus

in grammatical Spanish should be [IMO]:

"Tengo un iPod Touch de segunda generación y no he podido bajar el installer. ¿Dónde [me] lo puedo bajar/descargar?"
[I own/have a second generation/2G iPod Touch and I couldn't/haven't been able to download the installer. Where can I download it?
]

In informal speech, poorly educated Spanish speakers [meaning people with little interest in speaking properly] usually formulate questions about 'where' something can be found introducing the preposition 'en' before 'donde'. So, 'en donde' sounds pretty rough, at least to me, and shouldn't be confused with the relative particle 'where'. Needless to say, 'en donde' as a question should be avoided.

On the other hand, it was difficult to know whether the person was a Spaniard or Latin American, but the last message, which is pure gibberish, gave me some clues:

'aser' is an extremely bad spelled form of 'hacer': 'c' in Latin American varieties is pronounced as 's', whereas in the standard accent from Spain is pronounced as the English sound 'th' [as in 'theatre]. Unless, and here is where I'm having doubts, that person is from the south of Spain...there, the letter 'c' is also pronounced as an 's' in most places...But again, by the way the sentence is written and arranged tells me that that person is most likely from some Latin American country, either living there or in Spain, but surely from Latin American origin. I don't think any Spaniard would produce such an incomprehensible sentence.

I don't want to enter into further corrections, the sentence needs a radical re-arrangement. But the person is asking again where he can find an available jailbreak version to download....

Finally, I would like to comment on the following sentence:

Usted no puede instalar un jailbreak en un iPod Touch generación 2 sin el iPod estando empatado a su ordenador.
[You can not install a jailbreak on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch without the iPod being connected to your computer]

In Spain, people use the formal 'Usted' form to address either adult strangers or elder people whereas in Latin American it is extended to address everybody regardless of age or social class. Taking this into account, I would NEVER address a stranger with such a poor command of the language with 'Usted'. I'd rather use the neutral 'tú' form. Thus, my version would be:

"No puedes instalar/jailbreakear/hacer un jailbreak si no tienes el iPod conectado al ordenador."
This is what a native speaker [from Spain] would have replied. And yes, Spanish Apple nerdies and geeks do say 'jailbreakear', in the same way as the verb 'chatear' was created with the coming of the internet era.

Secondly, the word 'empatado' means something completely different, at least in the variety I speak. 'Empatado' is the past participle form of 'empatar' and means "to draw (level)" [in a match or competition]. I did not know that in other varieties of Spanish it can also refer to the act of joining or knitting something together. But, it definitely sounds weird to me. 'Conectado' is the word you will find in Apple's users' guides in Spanish and the best choice in formal writing. 'Empatado' is likely to be heard or seen in VERY informal contexts [and of course, in Latin American countries].

I stop here, muchísimas gracias for reading. I have probably bored you to death! [That's if you have finished reading the post].

J.J.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I'm not sure whether qacjared is a native speaker of Spanish or not, but he has got an excellent grasp of what the original message means. My apologies for the next speech, but I love analyzing language!

I'm actually a non-native college student that wants to minor in spanish. I'm only at the 201 level in college but I practice my spanish everyday with my friend from Mexico and friend from Spain. Also, thank you for this speech. I learned something from it.

Now, having a closer look at it, it would be plainly clear for any native speaker that the message is badly written and the person has a poor command of his/her own language. Plus, as far as I can comprehend, the final words are indeed intended to be a question [in this case a plea, hehe] and should be wrapped in question marks, thus

It was clear to me. A 101 level student at my college would get a bad grade for that.

in grammatical Spanish should be [IMO]:

"Tengo un iPod Touch de segunda generación y no he podido bajar el installer. ¿Dónde [me] lo puedo bajar/descargar?"
[I own/have a second generation/2G iPod Touch and I couldn't/haven't been able to download the installer. Where can I download it?
]

In informal speech, poorly educated Spanish speakers [meaning people with little interest in speaking properly] usually formulate questions about 'where' something can be found introducing the preposition 'en' before 'donde'. So, 'en donde' sounds pretty rough, at least to me, and shouldn't be confused with the relative particle 'where'. Needless to say, 'en donde' as a question should be avoided.

Thank you for informing me of this. I will be able to understand less formal spanish better now!

On the other hand, it was difficult to know whether the person was a Spaniard or Latin American, but the last message, which is pure gibberish, gave me some clues:

'aser' is an extremely bad spelled form of 'hacer': 'c' in Latin American varieties is pronounced as 's', whereas in the standard accent from Spain is pronounced as the English sound 'th' [as in 'theatre]. Unless, and here is where I'm having doubts, that person is from the south of Spain...there, the letter 'c' is also pronounced as an 's' in most places...But again, by the way the sentence is written and arranged tells me that that person is most likely from some Latin American country, either living there or in Spain, but surely from Latin American origin. I don't think any Spaniard would produce such an incomprehensible sentence.

Yes, when I saw it I was perplexed that someone from Spain would had typed so bad. I just assumed so since the guy used the present perfect tense because it has been drilled into me that spainards use that and latin americans use the preterite. Clearly it's not as simple as that and thank you for enlightening me.

I don't want to enter into further corrections, the sentence needs a radical re-arrangement. But the person is asking again where he can find an available jailbreak version to download....

Finally, I would like to comment on the following sentence:

[You can not install a jailbreak on a 2nd Gen iPod Touch without the iPod being connected to your computer]

In Spain, people use the formal 'Usted' form to address either adult strangers or elder people whereas in Latin American it is extended to address everybody regardless of age or social class. Taking this into account, I would NEVER address a stranger with such a poor command of the language with 'Usted'. I'd rather use the neutral 'tú' form. Thus, my version would be:

"No puedes instalar/jailbreakear/hacer un jailbreak si no tienes el iPod conectado al ordenador."
This is what a native speaker [from Spain] would have replied. And yes, Spanish Apple nerdies and geeks do say 'jailbreakear', in the same way as the verb 'chatear' was created with the coming of the internet era.

I figured that I'd play it safe and use instalar since that's what is in iTunes for software updates in spanish mode. Thanks for the lesson on Tú and usted.

Secondly, the word 'empatado' means something completely different, at least in the variety I speak. 'Empatado' is the past participle form of 'empatar' and means "to draw (level)" [in a match or competition]. I did not know that in other varieties of Spanish it can also refer to the act of joining or knitting something together. But, it definitely sounds weird to me. 'Conectado' is the word you will find in Apple's users' guides in Spanish and the best choice in formal writing. 'Empatado' is likely to be heard or seen in VERY informal contexts [and of course, in Latin American countries].

Yes, if you noticed I posted a 2nd time changing empatado to conectado after re-thinking it

I stop here, muchísimas gracias for reading. I have probably bored you to death! [That's if you have finished reading the post].

J.J.

Oh, I learned stuff. Thank you!

goobedoutonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Thank you for your feedback! I wonder if that person finally managed to jailbreak his/her iPod! But I doubt so [no offence intended].

I'm actually a non-native college student that wants to minor in spanish. I'm only at the 201 level in college but I practice my spanish everyday with my friend from Mexico and friend from Spain. Also, thank you for this speech. I learned something from it.

In my case a I'm a non-native speaker of English [from Barcelona] and I obtained my major in English literature and linguistics just last year. Now I find myself at a crossroads: I don't know if I want to continue with a post-graduate in Literature or teaching both English and Spanish as foreign languages. Right now I'm teaching English in a high-school and is becoming quite challenging but you have helped me to see another good side of it!

Yes, when I saw it I was perplexed that someone from Spain would had typed so bad. I just assumed so since the guy used the present perfect tense because it has been drilled into me that spainards use that and latin americans use the preterite. Clearly it's not as simple as that and thank you for enlightening me.

Well, the present perfect tense in Latin American Spanish is not a major feature and its use in spoken language is scarce, but you will sometimes see it in written form, [my guess is that the guy was probably thinking "no pude bajar(me)lo" but he knew that writing the present perfect sounded more formal]. Again, it is sometimes hard to tell and this grammatical feature often become the issue of countless debate. Here is an example: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=573298

Yes, if you noticed I posted a 2nd time changing empatado to conectado after re-thinking it

Yes, I noticed afterwards, my apologies!

Oh, I learned stuff. Thank you!

I also have to thank you. My English is also far from being perfect. Even though it can't be noticed, I learn a great deal everytime I log on here and read people's comments. In this case, I have further learned from you more right uses of English collocations and expressions and some writing style =)
However, I tend to produce more English sentences [meaning English from England].

Yours faithfully!
J.J.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Wow guys. Thanks! I didn't expect this many replies, and i have to admit, what your saying above is pretty cool :).

I'm currently learning Latin, which helps a lot when i try to figure out other languages.

I'm waiting for a response back from him, so i'll post it once he does :)

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Thank you for your feedback! I wonder if that person finally managed to jailbreak his/her iPod! But I doubt so [no offence intended].

I don't think he/she was able to either with spanish that bad. Not to mention the fact that we basically told he/she that it was very hard to do with phrases like no puedes

In my case a I'm a non-native speaker of English [from Barcelona] and I obtained my major in English literature and linguistics just last year. Now I find myself at a crossroads: I don't know if I want to continue with a post-graduate in Literature or teaching both English and Spanish as foreign languages. Right now I'm teaching English in a high-school and is becoming quite challenging but you have helped me to see another good side of it!

Well no matter what way you go you should be glad that you always have teaching/translating english and spanish to fall back on.

Well, the present perfect tense in Latin American Spanish is not a major feature and its use in spoken language is scarce, but you will sometimes see it in written form, [my guess is that the guy was probably thinking "no pude bajar(me)lo" but he knew that writing the present perfect sounded more formal]. Again, it is sometimes hard to tell and this grammatical feature often become the issue of countless debate. Here is an example: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=573298

Thank you of informing me to this

Yes, I noticed afterwards, my apologies!

I also have to thank you. My English is also far from being perfect. Even though it can't be noticed, I learn a great deal everytime I log on here and read people's comments. In this case, I have further learned from you more right uses of English collocations and expressions and some writing style =)
However, I tend to produce more English sentences [meaning English from England].

Yours faithfully!
J.J.

Personally I would say British English sentences instead of English English since it's less awkward. I'm glad I could help you learn. Just remember that English on here is not perfect and very much informal. Your english seems really good, nice and formal (without being stuffy), and much better than many native speakers I know in here in America.

Wow guys. Thanks! I didn't expect this many replies, and i have to admit, what your saying above is pretty cool :).

I'm currently learning Latin, which helps a lot when i try to figure out other languages.

I'm waiting for a response back from him, so i'll post it once he does :)

While we are on the topic of correcting language it's you're not your. Your is possessive while you're is the contraction of You are. Latin is great, I like how I can understand a bit of written french and Italian from my basic knowledge of Spanish. I can't wait for a response from this guy.

goobedoutonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Wao, I also didn't expect any more replies. Now, this has gone way off-topic. But ain't it nice, huh? Yet let's not forget that there's a loco Spaniard/Latino out there hounding mac users relentlessly!

by ElectricMan5

I also forgot to tell you all that, even though I'm native Spanish, I didn't know the meaning of 'preceptoral' and it is the first time I've seen it [Guessing at the context, I guess it means 'tutorial' in English]. Goddamn online translators! The good news is that in Spanish we have exactly the same word with the exactly same meaning [even in Catalan, my other first mother tongue]. However, the stress is placed in the last syllable but we don't accentuate it ["Tutoriál"].

Well no matter what way you go you should be glad that you always have teaching/translating english and spanish to fall back on.

Thanks, that's what I thought, I'll probably go for a postgraduate in literature once I'm settled with a nice salary [now I'm earning a pittance].

Personally I would say British English sentences instead of English English since it's less awkward. I'm glad I could help you learn. Just remember that English on here is not perfect and very much informal. Your english seems really good, nice and formal (without being stuffy), and much better than many native speakers I know in here in America.

Thank you for the flattering [we Spaniards delight in it :p ]!. I'm sure your Spanish is also flawless.

And OH, MY, GOD! How could I be so dumb? British English, of course...I failed to remember it! Part of the blame is that British and English are, more than often, interchangeable words here in Europe [and sometimes in the US when referring to the country itself, I guess]. Fortunately, now I manage to brainstorm in English, and it's something I try to tell my students [who just don't bother to look for resources in English]. Plus, collocations in any language are sometimes difficult to master.
On the other hand, now with this wave of political correctness, ethnic minorities do also get their share: Indian English, Pakistani English and so on. In the case of Spanish it has directly blended with English since there's a lot of code-switching: Spanglish. Such could be the case of our dear amigo trying to ellicit information using tacky online translators and his/her less than basic knowledge of the language [no patronizing intended!].

Good Lord! I have painful remembrances of studying Latin back at high-school. Although it was amazing, I remember staying all night up trying to memorize the declinations and get the translations right. You have to take into account that there were A LOT of 'false friends' since Latin evolved into the several Romanic languages. Fortunately, it helped a lot to study Latin since I had to refresh it when I had to study the history of the English language [back in the Middle Ages, English had a system of declinations as well before getting into contact with French via Norman invasion]
This said, I think Greek is more enjoyable from an etymologic point of view [I go mad everytime I go to a hospital and do the nerdier thing a language fan can do: look for the Greek etymology of all the medical areas and try to guess their original meaning].

While we are on the topic of correcting language it's you're not your. Your is possessive while you're is the contraction of You are. Latin is great, I like how I can understand a bit of written french and Italian from my basic knowledge of Spanish. I can't wait for a response from this guy.

I guess that producing 'your' instead of 'you're' or 'you are' is the natural conequence of massive texting and telegraphic messenger chatting. Although I sometimes do it due to text space constraints in mobile phones, I particularly get annoyed when people in message boards and such write so many contractions ['ur', 'ppl', 'lol' etc..]. Why don't they do the extra effort of typing the whole word?? Spanish is even worse! From recent years on, there's the nasty tendency to write 'k' instead of 'que', 'xk' instead or `porque' and more aberrations which I will not bother to further mention! [Yes, I'm being facetious].

OK, no more showing off, I'm not at all a brainy **** [as British/English rude chavs would say]. But I love this kind of topics!

Saludos.
J.J

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
British English of course...I failed to remember it! Part of the blame is that British and English are, more than often, interchangeable words here in Europe [and sometimes in the US when referring to the country itself, I guess].

Just had to jump in to say that I have a Scottish friend, who always corrects me when I use "English" to refer to all of UK. According to her, "British" is the proper term to refer to all of UK, which consists of England, Wales, Ireland (the part that is in UK) and Scotland. Scotland is NOT English! :D

goobedoutonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Just had to jump in to say that I have a Scottish friend, who always corrects me when I use "English" to refer to all of UK. According to her, "British" is the proper term to refer to all of UK, which consists of England, Wales, Ireland (the part that is in UK) and Scotland. Scotland is NOT English! :D

Hehe. In Europe we know well all these issues. I hate when my friends and family say 'Inglaterra' to refer to the UK. In Spain we have the same issue...but unfortunately we do not have a different 'nice' way to refer to all Spanish people. In theory, Catalonia and the Basque Country are not Spain. And never dare to address a Catalan or Basque guy as a Spaniard!

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Hehe. In Europe we know well all these issues. I hate when my friends and family say 'Inglaterra' to refer to the UK. In Spain we have the same issue...but unfortunately we do not have a different 'nice' way to refer to all Spanish people. In theory, Catalonia and the Basque Country are not Spain. And never dare to address a Catalan or Basque guy as a Spaniard!

¿What in is the term for "Spanish Spanish (Español de españa)" en español?

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I don't think he/she was able to either with spanish that bad. Not to mention the fact that we basically told he/she that it was very hard to do with phrases like no puedes

Thank you of informing me to this

My bad :). I'm usually pretty good with grammar, but i guess i was just not paying attention. Online, i don't think grammar really counts ^^

u kno wut i mean ;)

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
My bad :). I'm usually pretty good with grammar, but i guess i was just not paying attention. Online, i don't think grammar really counts ^^

u kno wut i mean ;)

Grammar does matter. One looks much smart and is respected more if he or she uses proper English, Spanish, whatever even though unlike Spanish there is no official body saying what is "right" and what is "wrong" it's all how publishers decide to do things.

goobedoutonmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Sorry for bringing the the thread back up again. I've been away this week and haven't been able to check the forum.

¿What in is the term for "Spanish Spanish (Español de españa)" en español?

People in Spain speak 'castellano' [castilian], that's how we refer to the language spoken in Spain. But sometimes we also use 'español', which has a more national connotation. The term 'castilian' comes from the historical areas in central Spain where Spanish as we know it today was born: Castilla La Mancha, Castilla Leon and Madrid. Some say the purest form of the language is located precisely in those areas as well as the essence of Spain; although I guess that this is a trend extended to all countries [the UK for instance, where traditional 'Englishness' is located in the south...or so they claim there!]

'Spanish' refers to the language globally, including both Spain and Latin America, and 'Castilian' refers only to the Spanish spoken in Spain. So, 'castellano' is my word of choice when I refer to the language here in Spain.
On the other hand, you also have to take into account that there are four official languages in Spain: Castilian/Spanish, Catalan, Basque/Euskera and Galician and the use of the Spanish language may differ from the standard use in monolingual Spain. And more than often it is kind of easy to spot people because of their accents [in my case I have catalan accent, yet not very broad].

Hope I have sparked your curiosity and have you visiting the country someday! [Choose Barcelona...Cosmopolitan & Mediterranean goodness for your senses!hehe]

J.J.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Epa JJ, muy bueno tu manejo de ambos idiomas.

Disculpen mi mala ortografia, pero mi teclado no tiene las teclas adecuadas, y soy muy flojo para hacer las combinaciones (no estoy usando mi Mac).

Empatar en Venezuela tambien se usa informalmente, en situaciones como la siguiente: cuando dos jovenes estan empatados es porque estan de novios.
Y frases como "le pidio el empate", o "fulanito y sutanita se empataron" se usan frecuentemente.

Que agradable ver en este foro que existan personas interesadas en el idioma, mas aun cuando lo que se ve en otros paises sobre el espanol es puro reaggetton y malandros latinos hablando en un espanol bien deteriorado.

Saludos

I post in spanish so you can continue practicing.

Q: Que significa tu firma?

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Grammar does matter. One looks much smart and is respected more if he or she uses proper English, Spanish, whatever even though unlike Spanish there is no official body saying what is "right" and what is "wrong" it's all how publishers decide to do things.

That sentence itself is out of line and doesn't make much sense to me.

" ... whatever even though unlike Spanish..." :confused:

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Epa JJ, muy bueno tu manejo de ambos idiomas.

Disculpen mi mala ortografia, pero mi teclado no tiene las teclas adecuadas, y soy muy flojo para hacer las combinaciones (no estoy usando mi Mac).

Empatar en Venezuela tambien se usa informalmente, en situaciones como la siguiente: cuando dos jovenes estan empatados es porque estan de novios.
Y frases como "le pidio el empate", o "fulanito y sutanita se empataron" se usan frecuentemente.

Que agradable ver en este foro que existan personas interesadas en el idioma, mas aun cuando lo que se ve en otros paises sobre el espanol es puro reaggetton y malandros latinos hablando en un espanol bien deteriorado.

Saludos

I post in spanish so you can continue practicing.

Q: Que significa to firma?

It's kinda cool how many words in Spanish come from Latin, with slight variations. "Que significa" in Latin would be "Quid significat", if I'm correct :cool:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's kinda cool how many words in Spanish come from Latin, with slight variations.

Spanish is a direct descendant of Latin, so I would imagine it's faster to count words in Spanish that aren't descended from Latin!!

I had a friend in college who spoke Italian (which is arguably just modern Latin), and she said she could get by in Spain by speaking Italian with a Spanish accent... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.