SPARE 29W POWER ADAPTER?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RUGGLES99, Sep 5, 2015.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I need to get one but apple is charging a whopping $50 plus $20 for the cable. Are there any 3rd party adapters around yet? The cable can be bought on amzn for much cheaper.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Does it have to be the full sized charger? If you can deal with slower charging, any 2amp + usb charger plus the correct cable will charge.

3. French River macrumors member

If you have an iPad, consider using using that charger for your rMB as well. It's small and light and easier to carry than the 29W adapter. I purchased a $10 USB-A to USB-C cable on Amazon.com to use with the iPad charger. It won't charge the rMB as quickly as the 29W version, but it does the job in most of my uses.

Of course, this won't work if you don't have an iPad charger, or if you use a dongle to add other USB-A devices that draw additional power.

4. RUGGLES99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went for a new 29 watt official apple for $42.00 on ebay, and the proper cable from amazon for about $10.00. I just wanted to have a charger downstairs and upstairs.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

For regular use around the home or office, if you want to save money, might as well use the iPad or other 2amp or so chargers. For the cost of an $8 cable I can have a charger anywhere I want. Who cares if it takes all night to charge when I'm at home?

6. French River macrumors member

Good choice, good price. I only have one level at home, so one charger will do here. But $42 is a good price. I'll start watching eBay...