Spare parts ?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by gsmithp, Mar 10, 2009.

1. gsmithp macrumors newbie

I'm an old hotrodder and I know how restorers and collectors have a big box of parts stashed away so I'm here today to see if someone might have a restorable 1.25GHz eMac logicboard they would consider selling to me. The one I have is un-repairable. Grand kids are bugging me to get it fixed or they're not going to come around here anymore!
    Thanks in advance

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

eMac can be bought for really cheap.

Not sure how much the part is... Some places that offer parts include:

ifixit.com
    techrestore.com
    iresq.com
    welovemacs.com

You might want to see if they have it or contact them to see where you can find it.

3. MacTech68, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Just curious, but some of the 1.25Ghz eMacs need a bunch of capacitors replaced. Apple were offering the replacment for free but i believe that has now expired.

The symptom is bad video tearing and freezing.

If this is the problem, you might be able to get a local TV tech to replace the Caps for you, if you're not good with a soldering iron. Through the bottom you can see two of the caps. Like this.

Basically they all need to be replaced. :)
    ________
    Dodge Rampage

4. zerobotman macrumors newbie

unless they're surface mount (rarely the case with broken caps) you can solder them all really easy. you NEED a good iron though or you're likely not going to melt the solder on those things. seriously, even my $300 80w iron can't touch it without me poking it with some lead solder and this is on a mac classic 2 which predates most lead free solder use.

5. MacTech68, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yes. Two months before Apple announced the now ended Repair Extension Program, I had a client with an eMac exhibiting the symptoms. At the time, most Apple related websites were full of complaints about the symptoms. I told my customer that it was likely Apple would bring out an extended warranty very soon and advised him to wait since I'd have to charge him to do the work required. He opted to have me replace the caps instead.

There were about 3 capacitors, IIRC, that were quite difficult to remove with the negative lead connected to a large ground area. Eventually got them all replaced and it worked like a charm!

:)
    ________
    buy magic flight launch box