spare room studio setup ?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by preppyclubguy, May 14, 2010.

1. preppyclubguy macrumors member

so i am using yamaha HS80M's and a HS10w in a room 11x11, in the speaker manual it says for optimal performance place speakers 5ft away from the wall, kinda impossible in my situation. right now I have a corner desk with one speaker on the left wall the other on the right both pointing at me from the same distance. but in the speakers and not in a perfectr triangle with me and themselves. is havin my setup situated around a corner a bad thing?

decription of walls from north to south

{North Wall has a standard door all the way to the righ
    {East Wall has closet doors all the way to the left almost butted against entry door
    {South Wall has window in center with 2 feel of dry wall on each side
    {West Wall is pure drywall

there is a futon on the east wall and a tvstand with a plasma on the west wall as half of the corner desk on the west and north wall

2. musictech100 macrumors newbie

Your main worry is getting the speakers in the correct place. As long as you can sit at the 3rd point of the triangle (sweet spot) you will be fine. If it is a hobby dont worry too much about setting it up, sppend your time creating instead. its not like you are going to record U2 :) Use a decent pair of headphones as his will help you mix and give you a better indication of the true sound without the sound of the room affecting how you hear it.