Spare SATA card?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Nov 28, 2015.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The PCI SATA card for my Quicksilver died today.

Does anyone have a spare they would be willing to let go for cheap/shipping?

I'm watching a Sonnet on eBay, but even cheap it's still a little pricey right now.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Man that sucks.... If I remember correctly, @LightBulbFun found a bunch on eBay for cheap

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

4. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

A member here offered me a card at cost. I would mention who but the member PMed me instead of replying in this thread.

I am quite grateful however for the generosity.

6. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Back up!

This card is four ports and fast! It makes me wonder if my previous card was not working the best. Once I get done getting 88GB off an IDE drive hooked up via USB 1.1 I'll Geekbench it again and see what happens.

2015-12-14 21.30.25.jpg

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Well that would be fun.... I installed Leopard on my TiBook over USB 1.1 with a 30GB 5200RPM drive as the destination, that look over 3 hours

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

6:05am, the morning after this post. 12 hours to go! :D

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Absolutely beautiful setup :). Is that an iMac G5 I see?

10. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, it's RedCroissant's Mac. I'm holding it for him for a little while yet until I can get it back to him.

11. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

One thing I dont understand is why you didn't hook the drive directly to the IDE in the computer?

12. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because I'd be pulling it back out again when I was done with it.

I had a good reason for it to be in there before (connected to the same bus cable the DVD drive is on) but with this new SATA card having four ports I've placed the laptop drive inside the case (previously it was connected to my dock).

There's room in there for the IDE drive but this time around I'm just not seeing a need for it.

PS. I long, long, long ago removed the main IDE cable. The only IDE hooked up is the DVD drive.

13. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah that makes sense, but what I was saying is why not just put the drive in the QS just so that cloning is faster

14. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because leaving the case open while the operation completed was more of a hassle to me than closing it up and doing this externally.

And I have the misfortune of monkeying with things enough that other things either break or go sideways. Right now I've got a number of non-standard items drawing power. This is a momentary thing. I'd rather just do it externally.

It's essentially an automated operation and the computer is doing nothing all day while I am here at work. It might be different if I needed the computer to do some intensive work right now or right then when I hooked the drive up.

15. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm glad everything is working so well for you. I bought three of these cards, and the one I sent you was the only one I had actually tested. It makes me want to get the others out and find uses for them :)

I wish I could get more of these. They actually were quite a bargain-especially compared to the Sonnet ones(albeit the Sonnet cards are fantastic) and they are the only ones I've encountered with four ports. The extra ports are nice.

One could-for example-put in a SATA optical drive, especially since I'm finding that a lot of ATA ODDs are getting long in the tooth and a bit flaky. I have a big pile of them, but my DVD burners are running low, and I often have to go through two or three drives to find one that's 100% functional.

16. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, it's a very nice card.

Normally, when I boot I get the spinning gear, then verbose mode kicks in and I get a wall of text, then a blue screen then the login window loads.

Right now, I'm going from the spinning gear to the login screen in about five or six seconds (once the computer does all it's post chime work, turns on the screens and recognizes the card/drive). It's doesn't even get to verbose mode.

I'm VERY happy. I knew it would be good when I saw the Mac sticker on the back of the card. :D

I'd consider a SATA optical drive, but I don't have one and the DVD burner I have right now is quite good. It's IDE, but it's dual layer and I haven't had any issues with it.

17. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

do you think you could post a screen shot of it in the PCI device list in system profiler please? im interested in seeing its information heh. also where do the drives show up on it? in ATA SATA or SCSI?

18. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'll do that tonight. Interestingly it's showing as SCSI in the card slot, but the drives show up in the ATA section.

19. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

thanks :) I know the $10 SATA cards we all flashed showed up as SATA in its PCI entry but the drives showed up as ATA... id like to pick up a sonnet SATA or Firmtek equivlent card at some point as I too have been having issues with the flashed Cards one of mine died a while back and the other one does not play nice in a G3 beige and takes waaay to much force to push it into some PCI slots... (and they dont work in OS9...)

20. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

My Sonnet ATA and SATA cards both show up as SCSI.

21. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK, here you go. Sorry it took a while.

Youngren14 2.png Youngren14.png

22. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

very cool its 3114 based I wonder if its possible to get a rom dump and flash PC 3114 based SATA cards...

23. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Anything is possible with a SOIC clip :)

24. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Tonight, I replaced the Dual Layer IDE Super Drive with a Dual Layer SATA Super Drive (DVD/DL).

Ripped out the final IDE cable. Guess what? The Eject button on the keyboard works for the SATA DVD!!!

This Quicksilver is now SATA only!

25. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Thats great! SATA is so much more flexible than IDE at this point, and the PCI cards allow faster speeds than the ATA bus. If I were to get a G4 tower, I would get a SATA card