Spare unibody upper case, external keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PeterQC, Nov 25, 2008.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I've found that one of my key is broken, the S key to be precise. 2 of the grips are brokens, making the key falling into the hole from one side and going out of the other when I press it in the right corner (like this -> _ \_ ).

Since my 14 days return period has ended (brought the 15th Oct. if I can remember right), I've call Apple care and they said that I should get it repair in an certified apple shop. Fortunately, there's one at around 5mins from my apartment, so I went there. Since it's the new models, they didn't carry the parts, so they ordered it. When I went back today when they received the part, I've asked if I could keep the keyboard. Since this part can't be returned to Apple, they accepted. They couldn't repair my Macbook (Look like they found it's not as easy as it was on the plastic...), so I have to wait until sunday to it being repaired.

Tonight I've found that the keyboard isn't replaceable by apple certified technicians, they have to remplace the entire upper case (not the proccessors and the tech part, unfortunately ;P).

So, in few days, to tell a short story, I'll have a spare macbook chicklet keyboard and (maybe) a multi touch track pad, with the aluminum parts that goes with it.

What do you guys think that I should do with it? It would be awesome If I can find a way to mod it to make it like an external keyboard to be used with my repaired Macbook, since the keyboard is technically plugged to the motherboard with an USB bus.

2. cryonic49 macrumors member

get a apple wireless keyboard. replace the white keys with your black ones

3. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Not a bad idea. I would need to check if the keys are the same, since I'm pretty sure Apple use at least 3 different key mechanisms for the chiclets. The only real problem is the price: I wanted a cheap solution out of this, and a Bluetooth keyboard might be just too expensive. I wa only thinking maybe modding it to be able to connect it to my macbook and use it while I eat or do other messy things (cooking, drawing, painting, etc.) that could not be that great on a 2000$ laptop!

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Cool idea, but it might not be worth the hassle. I would sell them on Ebay... Prolly get a good price for them.