SpareBundle filled my hard drive - should i worry?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CoffeeMonkey, Nov 7, 2007.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I fired up my new iMac today (my second day of using it), and was informed that my hard drive was full when it should have had about 200gb left. After poking around, I found a 200+gb file in my library/filesync called "iDisk.sparsebundle". From a quick google search I see that this might have something to do with Time Machine, which I actually don't have enabled yet.

Given that I only have 10GB of space on my iDisk, the 200+gb file is weird. And please please please tell me that my new Mac didn't just download 200+GB of data through my Comcast connection!

EDIT: 1 more detail - according to the desktop icon, my iDisc has a capacity of 922 GB. Crazy.

Can anyone tell me if this is something I should be concerned about?

2. robjrussell macrumors member

wow. to be honest.. i was on the phone with apple TODAY discussing this SAME EXACT issue.

i even got the "second level" of technical support.

things to do.
    if you're planning on using timemachine you may want to regulate what you sync.
    for instance your mail, system preferences, widgets, etc. don't need to be sync'd cuz your going to use time machine.
    i only sync contacts, ical, and bookmarks.
    the file is a disk image of your idisk. so you should set your sync preferences to manual. and just sync manually..
    because what is happening is your idisk is synicing to the internet and re-synicing to your computer (the sparsebundle).
    and is just doing it over and over and over.. round and round. so just do it manually.

i deleted the file.. and since have had a file of about 150mb's.

but personally if i were you i'd call apple. 200 gigs? holy shittballs that's huge.

rob

3. CoffeeMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Given the time span that it happened in, and given the speed of the .mac connection , I'm not even sure that I could have transferred 200GB of data. Actually, it would have had to have a transfer rate of about 11GB per hour, so I suspect it was just reading from the drive or something. I hope so, at least.

4. robjrussell macrumors member

but if your using filevault it can have a different effect.. i'm not sure what because i don't use it.. but it was the first question i was asked by apple.

5. CoffeeMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

FileVault is off.

6. robjrussell macrumors member