Spark flew from my firewire port, computer shut down...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MVApple, Nov 15, 2008.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Ok so I did something pretty stupid. I wanted to transfer some files from my pc to my mac over firewire and I had a firewire cable....except it was a firewire 400 cable.

I didn't know the difference and I took the cable and said, "this isn't it, is it?" So I placed the cable this mini firewire 400 cable there and a spark literally came out and the computer shut down.

I press the power button and it boots up but it doesn't recognize the battery. So I shutdown open it up, remove the battery and put it back in. I boot up and it works. I've tested pretty much everything I can think of and it all works fine.

Anyone ever experience this before?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:eek:

You put a mini 400 connector in a full size port?

3. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not exactly. I put it on the port to see if it was the right size. I didn't push it in but the contacts touched and the spark flew.

I just noticed one thing. I have a backup copy of pirates of the caribbean 1 and my backup no longer works. The same movie works in my windows laptop though and it did work before on my mac. Every other disc I throw at the mac seems to work though so not sure what to make of it. Even my backup copy of bonus features of pirates of the caribbean 1 works and they were made on the same computer, same drive etc.

*edit*

Ok not every disc works. Now the superdrive is giving me problems =/

I put in the pirates 1 movie again and it loaded, then I tried the features disc and it did not load. Occasionally it will load discs now, seems random. I noticed it plays a 3 note tone and discs seem to be taking 10-20 seconds to load up. Do the super drives usually take that long? And is that 3 note tone it's making normal? I'm a new mac user and I didn't have a chance yet to use the super drive extensively so I'm not sure.

*edit*

I tried the original discs and they work perfectly. They only take about 5 seconds to load and theres no musical tone. I'm thinking my super drive is fine, but Apple just uses a crappy drive?

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

BACK UP. Backup immediately, right now. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to backup your system.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

repair permissions too :D

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

In case the OP isn't totally sure after this comment, back up while your computer still turns on. Shorting it is bad news.

7. sliderule2167 macrumors newbie

This just happened to my brand new MacBook Pro! What ever happened with your case? Does the firewire still work? Was the battery affected in any way? Did you see "Check Battery" for its status and is there a way to make it go away?

20 years of using Macs and I've never seen anything like this. Why would anyone ever build a port that could do such a thing!? I can understand bad things happening if you FORCE a connection, but simply touching the cable to the port makes the firewire spark. That is not cool.

8. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Guess you just put the 'fire' in FireWire.

...anyone? :confused:

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

:D:D:D:D:D

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

bad joke :(

11. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

+1

call Apple support asap.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Take it to the apple store and dont tell about the whole spark deal lol

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:rolleyes:

Read the post dates.

14. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

In case you didn't heed the advice given in the old posts, then it bears repeating. Before you do anything else at all, you should backup your hard disk immediately.

15. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey slide, sorry for the late reply. I just found this in an email I dont check too often and I didn't even know this thread was still alive. I never really found out completely if I did something to damage the computer. I was still within my 30 day warranty period and a bit after it happened I tried to use the dvd drive and it wouldn't work properly. Basically, it would have a hard time reading any disc I put in it. I got it exchanged from amazon.com (where I bought it) and that was the end of that. It's possible I damaged the drive with my incident, but its possible the drive was simply bad from the start. I never got the chance to try it before the incident so I never found that out.

This happened to someone else too. I lost the thread so I never found out if he had any problems afterwards.