Spark on macbook pro logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edgarosovel, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Edgarosovel, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Edgarosovel macrumors newbie

Today I was cleaning the fan of my macbook pro beacuse it had a big ball of fluff wich prevent it from working. So I opened it but I didn´t unplugged the battery, and to make matters worse I tried to disconect the fan´s cable with a metal screwdriver (i know). While I was doing this i touched something (i dont know about circuits and stuff, so I don´t know exactly what it is, but it´s marked in the pic with red) and a spark came out. When I saw this I felt like if a little piece of me died inside me (how dramatic) :(
    So I assembled everything back and well, it didn´t turn on. I did a little research and found a some similar cases out there, but instead of having the spark where i had it, they had it while unplugging the battery cable. Some of this people fixed it doing this:
    With the magsafe disconnected press and hold the power button. While continuing to hold the power button plug in the magsafe connector. Continue to hold down the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. Release the power button and wait a couple of seconds. Now press and release power button.
    Well, not my case. Some people said that you needed an 85W Magsafe for this to work, so I wonder if it didn´t work for me because mine is 60W. Also, after opening the mac again I noticed that the component marked with blue started heating a lot, so I unplugged the battery. Do you know what does that component does? Do you think there is a way to fix/bypass the logic board or do you think I shorted the board and now I have to buy another one (oh no, my wallet)?

This are the specs of my mac, hope you can help me. And sorry for the long post!
    -MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011), Dual core i5
    -Model A1278
    -Last 3 number of serial number: V13

P.D. As I see the pics i took, the component has something writen on it, at simple sight you cant even see it, but i think it reads 51125 T1 211 A4x0 (I THINK, its not clear).

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvurdy9ilamfzzx/20150331_210930_0.jpg?dl=0

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Attachment links no-workie for me.

Since I can't view the photos ... Did you see and smell any magic smoke? If so, that's pretty much a given that you need a new logic board (or need to get that one repaired.)

If that's the case, then considering the age of your system, I honestly think that your money would be put to better use by purchasing a new(er) system.

3. Edgarosovel thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops, sorry about the pictures, I replaced the links with a dropbox link meanwhile. No, i didn't smell anything. I was searching for this 51125 chip and I found that it's called tps51125, and it kind of gives a signal to the computer to boot, so i guess ill try getting it replaced to see what happens.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

IMHO you've fried the logic board. Not a good idea to poke around a board with a power source connected with a metal screwdriver, especially if you don't know what you are doing particularly.

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Who would've thought Macs can be SO fragile. Seriously? It broke because of that?

*sigh*

Anyway, yeah fire and macbooks don't go well my friend. Is there an apple store near you?

You will probably need to get the part that spark replaced, but probably nothing more.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You expect a Mac to have no components that can get fried by a short? :rolleyes:

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Ummmm.. Yikes..

^ Indeed.. Imagine _ you would think the thing was full of sensitive electronic circuits, almost!! :rolleyes:

That being said, there IS a good chance that you may have 'been lucky' and only taken out a single component perhaps (how are your SMD/ hot air soldering skills coming along..?? Guessing not up to the task either _ BUT really, you should treat such a machine NO differently than you would the Breaker Panel at your house, and do not go poking metal tools at it so randomly _ Luckily a computer is unlikely to kill YOU as an AC panel may, but you can surely Kill It!! Good Luck

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You really have no idea

They are sensitive electronics like all computers and they can be shorted by metal and power like any other sensitive electronic equipment. ie every computer you've ever owned!!!!!!

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

404 Irony Detection Not Found :D

I'm more surprised he didn't suggest the OP just goes into an Apple store and rants at staff until it is fixed...small mercies...

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I would have assumed

it was irony if it was anyone else!!!! :D

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Well it's obvious that this happened because of the screwdriver shorting the circuit causing the spark.

I don't really see how you can get away with that even if you tried.

You: "My MacBook is broken!" *pulls out MacBook on fire*

Genius: "Uh...do you have applecare?"

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That didn't seem to bother you before.

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

For sure :D

14. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Whether you have Applecare, or Appledon'tcare, it will be the same cost to repair.. Yup :apple: ;)

15. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

That chip is part of the MBP's power system and you have most likely fried it.

Here's the chip in question:
    http://www.ti.com/product/tps51125

If it's just that part of the DC system then you might be able to replace it, but doing so will require someone with the skill to do surface mount work, and since you shorted it out with a screwdriver, I don't think that's you unfortunately.

Of course, even if you replace it, there's no guarantee that you haven't damaged other components, so you might be looking at a new logic board anyway.

16. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

Try resetting the SMC.

With the computer off, press the left shift-control-option keys plus the power button at the same time. Relase all keys at the same time. Then press the power button to see if it worked.

Sometimes macs need to have this reset with power outages or other power-related anomalies (maybe sparks too?)

17. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

That was because I could get away with it. Obviously.

18. Edgarosovel thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks to everyone for you advices/opinions. Trying to reset SMC was the very first thing i did.
    Today I received a brand new tps51125, but unfortunately i can't find a single person in my city to do this job (I'm from México). I'll keep searching for someone to do it, and i'll tell you what happened.