Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morrisman1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
i noticed this morning when i plugged in a (full size, ac powered) external harddrive that there were sparks generated between the aluminium casing of the macbook and the outer metal piece on the usb plug. If i rub the usb port along the aluminium then i can make sparks.

any ideas on why this is happening?

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
They're both conductors, one of which has a charge. Did you touch the USB (metal part) and attempt to recreate this static effect?

bambooshoot

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I just figured they should have some kind of protection against this kind of thing. It's not like I'm doing anything weird, just trying to plug in a hard drive, and there's fricking sparks coming from my computer. Doesn't seem right to me.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
i noticed this morning when i plugged in a (full size, ac powered) external harddrive that there were sparks generated between the aluminium casing of the macbook and the outer metal piece on the usb plug. If i rub the usb port along the aluminium then i can make sparks.

any ideas on why this is happening?

Just turn the lights off and have at it :D.

Jk Dont do that

ahm

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
That's not normal.

Show your friends a cool new way to start a camp fire.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I just figured they should have some kind of protection against this kind of thing. It's not like I'm doing anything weird, just trying to plug in a hard drive, and there's fricking sparks coming from my computer. Doesn't seem right to me.

I've never had this problem. Then again, I'm not rubbing my USB connector on the case of my MacBook either.

bambooshoot

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I've never had this problem. Then again, I'm not rubbing my USB connector on the case of my MacBook either.

Jesus it's not like I'm rubbing it deliberately on the casing to act like i've got frickin jedi powers; just plugging a usb cable into a usb port. So can I get some help on this or not?

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
Happens to me too with an external hd that has it's own ac adapter don't know how to fix this...

and for christ sake people, it's not like the OP was rubbing it on purpose, do you people plug in your usb peripherals perfectly aligned in on the port on the first go every freaking time?? :rolleyes:

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Jesus it's not like I'm rubbing it deliberately on the casing to act like i've got frickin jedi powers; just plugging a usb cable into a usb port. So can I get some help on this or not?

I hear ya man. They should not be doing this, but it does happen. There is nothing you can do about it, just be cautious about things of this nature - it happens with a lot of other metal-to-metal items besides MacBooks. Not a huge ordeal, just remember that this could happen.

...be careful :cool:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
1 question:

Is the Unibody plugged in to A/C power when you do this?

If no, then it is somewhat normal, but you have to be careful to make sure to touch the outer shell of the USB to MB case first to discharge the power.

If yes, then that external drive enclosure has a serious ground issue and should be replaced.

Who makes that USB external HDD drive case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.