Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plymman

macrumors member
May 9, 2010
I took delivery of my 2010 i7 iMac last week and had the same issue with sparks and USB ports. I assumed it was normal but then I heard it was making a crackling/buzzing sound from the top left when hot (I've read about that on this forum) so I arranged a replacement. The new one DOES NOT spark when you plug in USB devices and it doesn't buzz either. I'm not sure if they're related but can confirm that sparks are not normal!

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Ah, great…
Just when I thought i had received an iMac without problems.

I noticed a blue-white spark (around the USB socket, when the metal USB connector touched the aluminium case of the computer) when I plugged my Pixma iP5000 directly into my new iMac i7 last night (it had been connected to my old iMac G5 via a powered hub).

As a previous poster says/off-topic slightly: I have also noticed this kind of sparking (or worse) before when plugging in the power cord on my Apple TV, which is on a different socket in a different part of the house.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Hello.

I have noticed that my iMac makes sparks when I try to connect something to the USB.

I think that there are only make when it's something with external power, like a printer or a external hard disk. With a pen-drive or the iPhone, it doesn't happen.

What can you tell me about this?

If you are anything like the people I dealt with in my helpdesk days, you'd keep ramming things in there until you had a fire...ah teenage girls working at Borders. There is no hope.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Called Apple yesterday with a question about sending proof of purchase for the Back to School promo, and mentioned in passing about the sparks.

I got transferred to a tech support agent who said the sparks shouldn't be happening.
As I didn't have my iMac's serial number to hand, i was asked to call back today so they can check the number against any information about problems with the model I have.

Will have to see what they say…

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Apple want me to bring it in to the nearest store.
That's pretty awkward considering the size of the thing and the fact I can't get to the store after work before they close.

Is this the usual response from Apple?
Think I might try calling them again for another option/opinion… what do you guys think?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Apple want me to bring it in to the nearest store.
That's pretty awkward considering the size of the thing and the fact I can't get to the store after work before they close.

Is this the usual response from Apple?
Think I might try calling them again for another option/opinion… what do you guys think?

Its pretty normal for Apple, they want to see the fault 1st hand. I'd take it in, don't worry about a 2nd opinion as yet, I'd say safety was your 1st priority.

wombatwod

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Apple accepts Macbook sparks is a fault!

This is significant.
Following from my earlier posts.

Apple replaced the first sparking Macbook. BeforeI took delivery I asked the Apple technician to check the replacement and it had the same problem.
Apple then 'shut me out' by trying to tell me it was normal, then telling me it was due to my third partY equipment - this despite their own technician's report that it was due to the computer itself and the fact that my equipment did not cause the problem on my son's identical Macbook.

I eventually took Apple Pty Ltd to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). (Australia). It took many months but eventually I got a phone call from Apple wanting to 'discuss' the problem - as they had just received the paperwork from VCAT telling them they were going to have to front up in court.

So guess what, they offered me my money back, but I wanted the extra costs as well, which I got. Apple did not want to appear in court for obvious reasons.

So the lesson is this.

THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM WITH MACBOOK USB SPARKS. THIS IS ACCEPTED BY APPLE, SO IF THEY TELL YOU THEY HAVEN'T HEARD OF IT BEFORE, DON'T BELIEVE THEM. REFER THEM TO THESE POSTS.

DON'T GIVE UP! APPLE WILL DO EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO AVOID ADMITTING THERE IS A PROBLEM, AND TO AVOID PAYING OUT FOR FAULTY PRODUCTS.

DON'T TRUST APPLE. THE TECHNICIANS SEEM HONEST, BUT THE 'CUSTOMER RELATIONS' PEOPLE ... WELL THE LESS SAID THE BETTER.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
Once I plugged in the AC adaptor of my original PowerBook G4 into the wall socket and it sparked, somehow blowing out the fuse on my mini fridge plugged into the same outlet. That's all kinds of fail.

No known sparking on my iMac, although I use a powered USB hub to avoid going around this thing to plug stuff in and risk scratching the case.

fried-gold

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2008
Berlin
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've just started noticing this with my iMac. Wanted to do a comparison - I found this youtube clip of someone with the same problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjaoCyYeb0. So is this what everyone has been talking about or are we talking proper sparks? And should I be worried about this or stop being a wuss?

Interestingly it doesn't happen on my MPB, even when its plugged in, and it happens wether the external device is earthed or not.

Dansk

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Thats pretty much what the sparks on mine looked like and the tower still works its an older G5 I still use occasionally but it did fry a couple of back up HD's in its years when it was my main machine so dont say i didnt warn ya lol.

SeannaRose

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
Sparks from USB port and electronic cigerette

I to have the same issue. Only with connecting devices with power that are also plugged in to an outlet. Any devices running on batter though does not do it.

HOWEVER I use an electronic passthrough ego cigarette and on many occasions I have gotten tiny shocks on my lips when I use it while it is plugged into the USB. It does it more if your lips are raw and chapped. First time I was really shocked! (pun intended LOL)

Actually I do remember one of my kids (cant remember which one out of the 6) on 2 separate occasions tried to plug in a USB cord not connected to any device into the wrong slot (barely pushing or touching and it was the mini display port) and my macbook pro just shut off. I don't know maybe related?

Could it be in part the the charger has no grounding pin. You would think that would be important?!? It also sparks at the outlet when getting plugged in. No matter which one I use in town.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
I to have the same issue. Only with connecting devices with power that are also plugged in to an outlet. Any devices running on batter though does not do it....

Static electricity is the most common cause of a *small* spark from a USB connector when plugging it in. It is generally harmless, except in some cases if the computer is poorly designed it can trigger a reset. I have never seen it happen on a Mac but have observed this many times on various home-built PCs.

You can usually confirm if it's static electricity or not by first touching the metal USB connector to a grounded case. If it only sparks a little one time, then not the 2nd or 3rd time, it was just a one-time discharge of static. This is more common in winter months when air is dry, since humid air helps bleed of static charges.

If touching the USB connector to a metal case repeatedly makes a spark each time, that is abnormal and indicates an electrical problem.

While they are generally very safe, USB connectors do carry power. If a USB connector is *forcibly* jammed into a socket at an angle, in some *rare* cases this can bend a pin and cause a short circuit. This isn't generally harmful to a person -- it is DC power and usually limited to a fairly low current and voltage. However the connector or device may heat up. It is more common on a mini-USB connectors like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#mediaviewer/File:Mini_usb_AB.jpg

Like USB, a mini-display port or Thunderbolt port also carries DC power. If you jam an incompatible mini-USB connector into it, the metal sleeve on the USB connector may short the display port and cause the computer to malfunction or shut down. Normally this is pretty hard to do since the connectors are incompatible but if it gets pushed with right angle and force, it could happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.