Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage20.png

Earlier this year, popular OS X email client Sparrow arrived on the iPhone. It received much acclaim, but was criticized for lacking several seemingly critical email client features, including support for POP email accounts and push notifications.

Sparrow's developers have promised to add push notifications in a future update, but support for POP email accounts arrived in an update today, reports The Next Web.
The developers behind the popular Apple-focused email client Sparrow have today pushed a new update for its iPhone application, bringing its mobile client on par with the desktop version with the inclusion of full POP support.

What does this mean? Well, you will now be able to add Yahoo, Hotmail and any other private email accounts that you use on a daily basis, adding to the full Gmail and Google Apps support it already has.
Sparrow is available on the iPhone for $2.99 [Direct Link], with an iPad version coming soon.

Article Link: Sparrow Adds Support for POP Email Accounts

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I'd have this but I don't want two Mail apps on my phone, (or two very similar apps of any kind for that matter), unless I expressly needed them.

rumors-reader

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Why would anyone use POP over imap?

While I echo this quote, there are a staggering number of people who use their cable provider for email services, which generally require POP access due to limited mailbox spaces.

It pains me to see it, but it happens.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Why would anyone use POP over imap?

As far as I know, Hotmail still does not support IMAP, so a lot of Hotmail users have to use POP if they don't have Exchange or ActiveSync-ready mail clients.

I love Sparrow for the Mac and really like the iPhone client, but it is annoying how iOS will still default to the built-in Mail app for certain actions. And with Mail FINALLY allowing for multiple email signatures and pull-to-refresh, I may move back to it in iOS 6.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
man Sparrow must be throwing wads of money to MR; it seems that every single update 'deserves' to be in page 2 stories... :rolleyes:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
While I echo this quote, there are a staggering number of people who use their cable provider for email services, which generally require POP access due to limited mailbox spaces.

It pains me to see it, but it happens.

Ok fair enough. But that seems to me to be a doubly unwise decision because in the first place, you have to use pop instead of IMAP, and in the second place, if you change providers, you have to notify everyone of your new address.

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
Ok fair enough. But that seems to me to be a doubly unwise decision because in the first place, you have to use pop instead of IMAP, and in the second place, if you change providers, you have to notify everyone of your new address.

Keep your old email, forward all incoming messages to your new one. When someone emails your old one, alert them of your new email. POP is crap and dated.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
POP? What is this, 1994?

No, it's more likely a limited mailbox size and there are people strolling around in the business world that have several gigabytes of emails in their inbox - and who are learning-resistant and don't know how to manage their messages properly. And then there are email clients that don't properly handle IMAP and OFFLINE access to IMAP accounts.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
I'm one of the idiots who is backwards and dumb enough to use POP. I do it so that my email is downloaded and deleted from the server as soon as it is checked, which minimizes the amount of time it can be copied/data mined.

yaymath

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2011
Does anyone know if Sparrow for iPad will be a separate or a universal app? It's very tempting to buy it now while it's on sale but I would only use it on my iPad.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Two Thumbs Up For Pop!

IMAP isn't for everybody. I tried it and switched back to POP. I prefer to manage multiple accounts, folders and rules/filters locally vs. on a server.

To each their own. You aren't a superior human being because you prefer a particular e-mail protocol...

bellamonieman

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Sparrow and POP email

Downloaded Sparrow and after setting up my POP email account, it was refused saying server was not secure even though the secure box was checked:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.